Upload recordings to a .wav onto pc faster than realtime.

Rate this topic

marcnet

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice tip you got there smile.gif

Unless Sony can provide us with his WAV Converter in the near future, using Directshow filters to convert OMA to WAV is indeed a lot better than the non-free, Total Recorder method.

btw, did it work for your two tracks (the PCM and the Hi-SP ones) or just one of the two?

Sorry... I only tested with 2 short tracks ... It seems the maximum wav size is 10.3mb long....

This may be due to the "OpenOmg" source filter being a bit gay with regards to rendering faster than real-time

Seems my method needs:

a) A c/c++ replacement that can create directshow objects and be able to resume rendering wav files from where it last left off (which will take time, but Im quite capable of doing)

cool.gif a smart-tee filter between the OMG TRANSFORM and the SonyWavWriter. Render the Capture pin (bump) to the Wave/DirectSound device and the preview pin to the SonyWavWriter. This,unfortunatly, is a real-time method.

Nothing...

GraphEdit simply just seems to stop processing the .oma and/or writing .wav data... The play icon turns green and the stop icon turns red... You're left with just over a minutes worth of .wav sad.gif

Im only guessing that once the Sony OMA reading filter reaches the end of the .oma file it tells DirectShow to stop processing

Furthur more: Ive tried seeking while rendering in GraphEdit... and it seems to suggest that seeking to a place in an .oma will render to the .wav file from that point.

Sorry, can someone post a link to this software please... I seem not able to get it from anywhere :S Thanks heaps!

GREAT FIND!

I have also just been talking to Sony, they sell a cable down here in Australia, which you plug into your MD, then into your audio socket at the back of your pc, you just take the tracks off your MD that way, and it is automatically converted to .wav.

You might all know this... but thought I may as well put it up

I have also just been talking to Sony, they sell a cable down here in Australia, which you plug into your MD, then into your audio socket at the back of your pc, you just take the tracks off your MD that way, and it is automatically converted to .wav.

You might all know this... but thought I may as well put it up

I think this is a standard audio cable that you can find at Dick Smith and other places.

Essentially, the NH1 will be sending an analog signal out of the player, and the sound card of the PC records it and saves it to your PC as a wav file.

Ill have a go tonight ... My DirectShow knowledge is a bit rusty so it might take the weekend for me to get something done and in a releasable state.

Last night I did get as far as creating the OMG source filter object and giving it a file... All functions (methods, procedures..... whatever) returned S_OK (which means "success") , so I think im getting somewhere......

Oh ok, now worries then.

I will by buying in next week! Now all I have to find is some good editing software.

Personally, I'd wait to see what happens in this thread. Analog recording to a PC, you see, is a bit of a bitch (for more or less exactly the same reasons that none of us rate machines like the iRiver for recording higher than Hi-MD) if you don't want mediocre results.

So now Sony has no reason why not to include a export-function in SonicStage itself. Exporting is already possible for the people who realy want it! Real NICE FIND!

Maybe now someone can write an export-program that does this trick automatic (open oma-file, say where you want the wave-file, and a "convert" button).

O, by the way (I hope you don't mind) I put a Dutch translation of the procedure on our Dutch forum. Off course with a reference to this topic.

http://www.mdcenter.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?t=779

If you have a problem with the translation please let me know, then I remove it but I think everbody should know of this neet trick!

Many thanks on behalf of the Dutch MiniDisc-community!

So now Sony has no reason why not to include a export-function in SonicStage itself. Exporting is already possible for the people who realy want it! Real NICE FIND!

Maybe now someone can write an export-program that does this trick automatic (open oma-file, say where you want the wave-file, and a "convert" button).

O, by the way (I hope you don't mind) I put a Dutch translation of the procedure on our Dutch forum. Off course with a reference to this topic.

http://www.mdcenter.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?t=779

If you have a problem with the translation please let me know, then I remove it but I think everbody should know of this neet trick!

Many thanks on behalf of the Dutch MiniDisc-community!

Hi, well seems like you did not read the thread - it does not work 100%, it only lets you transfer about a minute - which is fine if that is all you have smile.gif

Lets hope the wiser people on this board find a solution fast.

Tom

Hi, well seems like you did not read the thread - it does not work 100%, it only lets you transfer about a minute - which is fine if that is all you have smile.gif

Lets hope the wiser people on this board find a solution fast.

Tom

Yes, I read later. Sadly I do not have the knowledge to take part in the developement. I only have a Hi-MD (NH700) and a 4 minute uploaded Hi-SP track to test proposed solutions.

MDFreak: In your Hi-MD preview a few months ago, you mentioned that the Sony Staff at the Sony Spring Show also referred to some Extension software that would allow burning of uploaded tracks to CD.

Have you been able to use your Sony contacts to ask them where this software is, or if it will ever be released?

Indeed, but we here at the site have taken a very keen interest in this method and we will be sure that progress does not die down. I am very serious about my "bounty", if I need to make the payment higher to produce results I have no problem with that. I ever spoke to the webmaster on the phone last night about this, and I haven't heard him this excited in a coon's age. Let's get crackin'! :happy:

Hey guys,

I'm a new owner of a MZ-NH700. I bought it based entirely on the high-speed transfer option because I use it as a portable recorder only. Obviously this DRM stuff isn't make me super happy. I started digging on the net for workarounds and found this ridiculous thread:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php...38&page=4&pp=15

If you wade through all the mindless meanderings someone suggests using TMPEG ENC to convert from OMA to WAV. TMPEG ENC is freeware and after about 10 seconds I had a new WAV file.

Here is EXACTLY what I did:

Use SonicStage to high-speed transfer off the MD to my computer

Use the Move File option to save it to my Desktop

Drag the new .OMA file into TMPEG

Use Output to File->WAV

Save

Pretty easy, really. Does this solve the problem you guys are trying to resolve, or am I missing the boat? My big complaint is just being able to transfer files QUICKLY and then be able to store them in some non-Sony Proprietary format, so I think this is a decent procedure.

Let me know what you think about this.

Thanks,

Mike

I tried TMPGEnc as soon as I saw this post... I used the standard 5 minute track I used with GraphEdit to try to prove everyone wrong that the 10.3meg limit isnt there ... Which I failed doing . as the 10.3mb limit IS there.

Anyway.. TMPGEnc as the same sort of limit. It produces a larger .wav file (i think its the correct size, actually) but after about 1 minute in the .wav file it is all BLANK.

Development continues... the search for the ultimate .oma -> .wav continues to elude us all....

I have a different theory:

When the OMG source filter reads the last byte of OMA data, it tells the filter graph (or whatever) that it has finished spitting out data and that the filter graph should stop. Which it does.

Meanwhile, the file writer fitler is still writing wav data. The filter stops (as told by the OMG source filter). Wav writing stops.

Im also having c/c++ coding issues:

I create a GraphBuilder object via CoCreateInstance

I use the GraphBuilder function AddSourceFilter to add a ".oma" file to the graph. This function succeeds.

I enumerate the pins on the source filter (as returned by AddSourceFilter ) and get an output one

I tell the graph to render the pin via the Render funtion. An exception happens....

An exception also happens If I manually connect the output pin to an input pin of an OMG TRANSFORM filter that has also been created (CoCreateInstance) and added to the graph (AddFilter) .

Anyone got any ideas?