What headphones/Ear plugs do u guys use?

Rate this topic

BuddyLee

Go with the D66 eggos if you like circum-aural type headphones. They have a short cord too, and sound quite nice. They are under $100.

affiliate_show_banner.php?ref=5&affiliate_pbanner_id=41

If you prefer in-ear types, then you're a bit more limited. The Sony MDR-EX71SL isn't that wonderful, the bass is quite bloated but they are definitely loud enough on Sony portables.

affiliate_show_banner.php?ref=5&affiliate_pbanner_id=387

The best under $100 in-ear 'phones I've found are the Shure E2cs, which generally run about $90ish. Various e-tailers sell them. I bought my pair from B&H Photo. They do not have short cords, though, so using them with a remote isn't all that easy or comfortable.

I use among others:

Sennheiser HD25-1

Efficiency: Very high. Sound: Punchy, resolved.

Undoubtedly one of the most practical portable full size headphones on the market. I know this because i've bought (and ultimately rejected) the Panasonic RP-DJ1210, Sony MDR-V700DJ (more on that later), Ultrasone HFI-650, Sennheiser HD280, Sony MDR-7506, MDR-7609, Beyerdynamic DT250-80, Pioneer HDJ-1000, MDR-D66SL and many others.

The HD25-1 is closed, low mass, low bulk, and high efficiency. The sound characteristics are ideal for portable use being quite well resolved and also pretty punchy. It will work to decent volume (if not decent dynamics) with a 0.5mw source. Clearly many Londoners feel the same, as when I'm paying attention the third most popular phone I see after the now ubiquitous iPod earphones and the Sennheiser PX series is the HD25-1 (and not it's cheaper brother, the HD25-SP).

Sony MDR-V700DJ

Efficiency: High. Sound: Car-audio boom-boom-like

Sometimes, I have to use these in a professional capacity... although I'm not a DJ. With the lean yet precise feeling iPod, the 'dumbing-down' effect of the V700DJ works to a reasonable level, and is actually even nice for portable use (especially with 'bass reducer'. With MD... well, the EQ should be brought into play once again for anything agreeable. There is absolutely no way I could call these great phones. They're too heavy for regular portable use, and fit me with some discomfort. Despite that, I still use them once in a while even when I'm not required to do so. Like the HD25-1, a high level of efficiency will help make up for volume deficiencies of lower powered MD portables, especially European ones.

Sennheiser PX100/200

Efficiency: Medium. Sound: See below.

These are very practical little phones. The PX100/200 both fold into a flat package which will slip into a shirt pocket, have a decent length cord which allows you to manageable use the phones whether with a remote or without, and both don't sound bad, although the more expensive PX200 actually sounds a bit worse. The PX100 offers a slightly 'dark' (i.e. not piercing) clear punchy sound and good detail. The PX200 sounds more muffled overall, yet still giving out a reasonably punchy but large bass. The PX200 makes up for that by offering genuine sound isolation within tiny 4cm-diameter earcups. The open PX100 are much less useful for commuting use, since they let all background noise through and vice versa, but nevertheless sound pretty good when you can hear them! One major issue for European portable owners: A notable lack of efficiency for a portable-use phone means that these phones can sound somewhat limited on a low-power portable.

Sony MDR-G74SL

Efficiency: High. Sound: Clear yet with a lot of bass, but prone to some problems in the midrange

I was sent one of these and it sat around in my 'stuff to look at' cupboard for a while. I mean, a Sony neckband phone, it's complete crap right? As it turned out, no. The sound's inbetween the PX100 & 200 in that it's got the relative clarity of the PX100, the rapid bass punch of the PX100 with the bass volume of the PX200, it's more efficient than either, and is not isolating but at the same time it is not wide open. The 74 has some sonic problems, but they're liveable-with problems. The 74 gets a lot of use from me... maybe less than the PX200 but definitely more than the PX100.

Shure E5

Efficiency: Insanely high. Sound: Very punchy lows, slightly cut highs, good resolution throughout

Even more efficient than the HD25-1 is the in-ear Shure E5. Once again a punchy sound, but the punch does trade off some of the highs. Detail is as good as the HD25-1 if not better, but it doesn't always feel so due to the treble cut. Isolation is very high, comfort is very good for an in-ear phone and overall this gets the most use as far as I'm concerned. It's more of a compromise than some closed phones in terms of sound, but the portability, isolation and long-term wear benefits make it worthwhile.

Etymotic ER-4P/S

Efficiency: Medium-high(4P) to low(4S). Sound: Very clear feeling, but lacks convincing overall sound character.

Possibly 'the phones' at Head-Fi, I nevertheless feel that although all the canalphones I've tried are in effect compromise items, the Etys have the highest compromise of all due to questionable comfort and questionable sound balance. Contrary to commonly held opinions, I don't feel that the balanced-armature drivers deliver the ultimate in detail, but the Etys nevertheless feel very detailed. When listening portably to solo violins and listening critically to classical performances, I'd usually opt in favour of the Etymotics. My main use for the Etymotics are as one of the testing instruments to evaluate new gear, since they let me listen with quite a technical ear.

Shure E3c

Efficiency: High. Sound: Very resolved for the money, but slightly below adequate lows, sometimes slightly unbalanced mids and slightly cut highs.

These spend a lot of time being loaned, since they're broadly speaking comparable with the Etymotics so it's kind of redundant for me. While the Etys have a sonic edge in a more neutral sound and cleaner feeling highs, these facets are really only truly discernible if you're in a quiet room. In travelling situtations, the E3c offers higher comfort, higher efficiency (important for MD users) and better overall tractability. I do wonder how many who disparage E3c's have only given them a try in an office cubicle. While the E3c shares some compromises with the ER-4P, the E3c offers an enhanced mid-bass. The major fly in the ointment is a slightly raucous midrange which comes noticeably to the forefront with (alas) the best tips for general purpose use: The black ones.

Audio-Technica ATH-EM7

Efficiency: High. Sound: Delicate and well resolved but lacks low end.

My least used phones, usually only during summer. I find the clip assembly can cause some discomfort, but properly adjusted, the ATH-EM7 has an all-day wearability and they look pretty discreet but cool. Becuase they're discreet and because they don't isolate, I don't have to take them off during conversations outside. The sound is somewhat thin but I can appreciate 'soundstage-based' music such as for example Sigur Ros quite nicely with these. Efficiency is high and getting a decent volume will not be a problem. Getting a decent bass could be a problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm using E3cs with my iPod at the moment. I probably won't upgrade for a long time as pretty much the only thing over what I've got are the E5cs and I don't particularly like their sound.

Sensaphonics are looking inviting but their 500 dollar price tag is making my wallet wince. :laugh: