Donations for The Hi-MD Render Project

Rate this topic

A440

Starting a separate topic here to remind people that Marcnet has done us all a great service, and it takes about 20 seconds to send him some $$ via Paypal.

The high-speed upload that everyone has been wishing for since the dawn of minidisc is now a reality, thanks to Marcnet (and no thanks to Sony). Everybody who's grateful should put their money where their mouth is.

Skip that next latte and give Marc an incentive to perfect HiMDRender. Obviously he's just one guy spending who knows how much time to make this thing work. He's not getting paid like the Sony engineers who put all the obstacles in our way. Let's make it worth his while.

The donation button is at http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk It is a SECURE donation via Paypal.

EDIT: HEY! More that 1000 people have now read this message and it looks like about one out of 100 makes a donation. How pathetic is that? He's done constant updates AND provided tech support to everyone here who asks a question, and his program is now working glitch-free. If everyone now using the program sent just $5 it would make a big difference. Anyone who doesn't--well, now that Sony has begrudgingly given us the slow, annoying, deliberately crippled Wav converter, we need Marc even more.

Mat if you don't have Hi-MD then why donate? The point is that there are people with Hi-MD who are downloading and using this software.

Even if I only had plans to get Hi-MD and didn't have a unit in hand I'd donate-- simply because it will help sustain the effort to make MD technology more usable.

Im not saying that people are selfish, im saying that the % of people who have Hi-Md, know about the software, can really use it for something, and actually KNOW HOW TO use it (it doesnt even have a GUI yet, massive blow for n00bz) is much smaller than you think.

Like many game developers say: Its done when its done.

Donating does not insure that the author will bring out newer versions, and not many people would like, or can, pay for an un-finished product.

BTW, if you are donating before you even have a HI-MD your doing twice the wrong.

what if you change your mind by the time you purchased HI-MD and have already donated?

the poiint of the matter is that its going towards a good cause

its like donating to charity its not just to help you or anyone as an individual its to help the project further expand minidisc veritility

its more for the community nothing is free out there is free it is only presented free the money to make such things has to go somewhere so why not add this to you charity donations

EDIT: HEY! More that 500 people have now read this message and exactly 4 of us have donated something to Marcnet. How pathetic is that?   He's done at least six updates AND provided tech support to everyone here who asks a question. If everyone now using the program sent just $5 it would make a big difference.  Anyone who doesn't--well, go ahead and wait for Wave Converter. You might be waiting a long time.

1. The donation page is not secure.

Very few people will dare to write their credit card number on a page like that.

Believe it or not but i was going to donate until i saw that.

2. As far as i heard he hit a brick wall with decoding problem, something to do with the Direct show function but i may be wrong.

I use Opera myself. Its better than Internet Exploder in my opinion. And when I click on my own Donation link the opera "padlock" icon goes from unlocked to "locked" and states that "TLS V1.0 128bit C4 (1024 RSA/SHA)" as the encryption type.

I think that because I use frames to hide the URL IE thinks that the page is still insecure. This is sort of true because the host of the frames (my site) is still insecure, but the content of the main frame (paypal) is secure.

Try manually going to this link and then pressing the donate button. This will ensure that there are no frames and IE should show the padlock icon correctly.

http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/cgi-bin/mn2...92133?drs=,90,2,

Alternativly go to www.paypal.com and donate that way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just wanted to thank marcnet for the program....I was trying to look at the two ways of donatingas, as I think it is worth supporting for sure, but it looks as they are not used in Poland...

Anyway, you saved my 'musical life' biggrin.gif

May all my best wishes and prayers reach you... rolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

1. The donation page is not secure.

Very few people will dare to write their credit card number on a page like that.

Believe it or not but i was going to donate until i saw that.

2. As far as i heard he hit a brick wall with decoding problem, something to do with the Direct show function but i may be wrong.

One word. PAYPAL. Perhaps you never heard of this thing called Ebay either?

Edited by g52ultra

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I don't come onto this forum much, but I bought an NH900 in May and spent the last 4 months in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada doing field recordings of Cape Breton fiddlers.

Hi MD has been indispensable in this regard. Instead of lugging a backpack full of cassette tapes with me, I took 4 tiny little discs. And the quality of the recordings... and being able to label them on the spot... But I'm sure none of you need to be convinced ;)

Before I left, my band and I recorded a couple of emergency demo tracks on the NH900 and when we went to burn them onto CD... we discovered that Sony was attempting to thwart us! We managed to stumble upon MarC's HiMD Renderer, which saved the day (or late, late evening). Now we are going on tour in November through Europe because of that demo. How's that for a success story?

Anyway, I've just donated.

If I ever strike it rich and get signed to a record deal or something, he'll be getting more than the few measly pounds I was only able to give.

This is the best online community I've ever come across, and I dabble in all sorts of other things. Keep up all the support for the format, and keep donating.

Take care everybody,

Prairie Wolfe

• 1 month later...

This is gonna sound stupid, but what does the renderer do exactly?

Takes OMA / OMG files that are playable on your PC, and converts them to WAV / OGG / FLAC or MP3. This includes recodings you made on you HIMD recorder via optical-in and uploaded to your PC via SonicStage. SonicStage will not convert these types of recordings to .WAV for you, but my program will. It also supports copying the tagging from the OMA/OMG into the resultant mp3/flac or ogg files

Also you can export a track-listing of a HIMD or NetMD disc for spread-sheet / database use or just to copy, paste and print using Word or notepad or whatever.

Also you can control the recording of NetMD tracks via your PC soundcard. Simply select the tracks you wish to record, select the soundcard input and HIMDRenderer will then record the tracks for you. Each track will be recorded to a seperate WAV/MP3/OGG or FLAC file.

It also has a built-in bug report system that sends me a log file, so you can tell me if something goes screwy and I can look at the log file to see why its gone screwy

Apart from that, not much.

• 10 months later...

I have just finished using Himdrenderer 0.54 to rip all the many hours of the Howard Stern All Request Labor Day Weekend recorded with HiMD from Sirius satellite radio to get them onto my iPod. Not practically possible any other way at decent birates for the many interspersed musical performances in those 40-50 hours of recordings. $10 on it's way. Thanks so much.

• 8 months later...