Voice/Music recordings to a regular CD via a PC...

Rate this topic

edlittlejr

I am so happy I found this forum…this is my first post.

I’ve been a Sony MD user since November or December 1998…I have the Sony MZ-R50, with the ECM-MS907 stereo mic. I’ve been mostly using my Sony MD for voice recordings and music, and my brother in-law uses it to record sample tracks of acoustic guitar and Native flute. I was very happy to hear the release of the Sony HiMD and it’s ability to transfer sound/music files to a PC, instead of transferring it ‘Real Time’ as I do now…which takes FOREVER!

My dad and I are working on a project to record all the Dine(Navajo) traditional stories, philosophy, and language he’s learned from his great grandfather and grandfather via a stereo mic and Sony MD. I want to be able to record his voice in stereo, name the file, transfer the recordings to PC, burn to a CD, and able to play the CD in a regular CD player via a home, portable, or car system. I just learned tonight that the Sony HiMD CANNOT export sound/music files, that have been recorded via an external mic, to a CD to play on a regular CD player.

Here’s my question(s):

1) I want to begin this project with my father as soon as possible… Can I capture voice recordings on my Sony MZ-R50, using the ECM-MS907 stereo mic, and still be able to use all the features of a Sony Sony MZ-NH900, or Sony MZ-NH800? In other words, can I record his voice in stereo, name the file, transfer the recordings to PC using the HiMD, but recording on my regular Sony MD...the MZ-R50?

2) Will Sony’s future “Wave Converter” be able to use these same files to burn to a CD, and play the CD in a regular CD player via a home, portable, or car system?

3) What is the best software, freeware and/or paid, to manage and organize the voice recordings on a PC, and record to CD? I may at times have to edit the voice recordings by way of cutting or copying a section of the recordings.

4) What is the best software or format to use to post these recordings to a website?

I hope this is not too much to ask…I would greatly appreciate any help and/or suggestions.

Thanks,

Ed.

Welcome to the forums.

If you want digital uploading to the computer in a faster than real-time scenario you will need a Hi-MD unit. Using the R50 would be sufficent, but uploading would be a semi-hassle and you'd probably fare better with a Hi-MD unit. I would recommend the NH900 if you can swing it.

Forget the wav converter. marcnet has done it himself: http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=6087

I'm not going to comment about #3, but I know that someone will chime in and give you a great suggestion.

#4..will get you a few biased opinions. I'm thinking that if you keep everything in *.wav as your archive, and make a web-version copy of each in Ogg-Vorbis format you'll fare well. Ogg would be good in this situation.

Stick around, friend; we'll take care of you. :happy: I'm interested in these recordings, too!

Chiming in on #3:

Good old free Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ should probably be all you need to edit your files. In fact, if your computer has a good mic jack, a decent soundcard and some space on your hard drive, you could skip the MD and record directly into the computer with Audacity, which would eliminate the need to transfer from the MD.

For all the bells and whistles, Adobe Audition (formerly CoolEdit) is very good and very expensive.

The Griffin iMic would give you a mic input (and and line input and mic and line outputs) via USB if your mic jack is staticky. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

As for a CD burning program--grouping tracks as an album, normalizing volume (so there's not a huge variation between tracks) and burning them onto CD--Nero is excellent. But the program that came with your CD burner may also be all you need.