A discernable difference in the various Sonicstage versions?

Rate this topic

Hello,

I've read before from the words of jadeclaw long ago that it seemed like there was an improvement in the prepackaged* ATRAC3/plus codec that comes with Sonicstage 2.1 over 2.0. This has always made me wonder, is there really a difference? Was there one from 1.5 to 2.0 [specifically LP2]?

I'll call Sony later today or tomorrow and see what they have to say. I may do an ABX test somehow. I cringe at the thought of installing and uninstalling all these versions of Sonicstage.

* - yet still inferior to on-unit codecs

If I had a machine other than my own to try out the codecs on I would. I won't risk messing with my install [sS2.1 / SB2.0] though, because it worked on the first try.

Perhaps what we need to do is ask people if they'd encode a few short test files.

I know there are people here who are running older versions of OpenMG Jukebox and SonicStage..

Would anyone like to volunteer a few minutes of their time so we can test the differences between codec versions?

edit: I can make a few test files, including brief music clips, whitenoise, pinknoise, etc. if the demand exists to do so.

I heard in the past how terrible SS encoded LP2 was, but after doing my own comparisons, I find that I was unable to discern the differences between the two different encoding methods when using SS 2.1 and an N505 (Type R), so I'm making the assumption that SSLP2 pre-2.0 was terrible, and the new versions of SS have improved. tongue.gif

I am curious to know exactly how improved though. Is it even possible to download the earlier versions of SS?

Okay... I found my old SS 1.506 installer disc, I now have 2 musical samples, both recorded in LP2 using SS 1.506, as well as SS 2.101. (Both were recorded via my soundcard's line-in, using the headphone out of a MZ-N505, hacked to give a fake line-out.)

Now.. where do I send these? I don't have any webspace to host them myself. :wink:

I think the real question, the one I want answered after all is, "Is there a difference between the MDLP encoder period/at all?"

Sony never released version numbers for ATRAC3 like they did with ATRAC. Clearly, ATRAC has improved over time--I can definitely tell the difference between what my brother recorded with my R30 (ATRAC 4) and what was recorded with my R900 (ATRAC 4.5), and I can tell to a much lesser degree the difference between recordings from my R900 and those I made during the brief time I had my N10 (ATRAC 4.5R), but where is the proof that MDLP has improved at all from the R900 days?

"Type-S" is the decoding DSP as someone so eloquently pointed out to me, and doesn't affect recordings made in MDLP mode.

So, does "new" MDLP unit recordings/"new" SonicStage rips in LP2 actually sound any better than the recordings made with an R900/R700?

If my R900 wasn't dead, I would ABX this and let everyone know, but since it is dead and my N505 is not here yet... sou ne...

I have had the opportunity to compare LP2 recordings made using 1) SS2.1 and 2) an R90 which was transferred to computer by analogue means.

Tthe SS2.1 encodes I did sounded like absolute garbage. They were completely unlistenable - almost painful to hear, in fact.

The R90 recordings [with subsequent conversions] sounded surprisingly excellent.

The difference between them was such as night and day.

According to SonicStage FAQs on the Sony support site, when you make a recording in SS, Type-S is disabled.

I know that Type-S is a decoding thing, but maybe something in the Atrac file says to the MD Player, do not use Type S during playback as this originated from SonicStage.

This could account for a lot of the difference in playback quality.

According to SonicStage FAQs on the Sony support site, when you make a recording in SS, Type-S is disabled.

I know that Type-S is a decoding thing, but maybe something in the Atrac file says to the MD Player, do not use Type S during playback as this originated from SonicStage.

This could account for a lot of the difference in playback quality.

The R900 does not have Type-S decoding DSP, however, so any LP2 tracks played back on the R900 (or recorded off the R900 via analog) would likewise not gain the benefits.

Okies, for Reference, my thread again:

http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t...?t=5595&start=0

However, one thing I didn't payed attention to was, that I had to replace the mainboard after the first test. PSU, Soundcard, D/A-converter(MDS-S38) and the headphones stayed the same. So, I don't know if that had any significant influence, personally, I guess not. On another point, it is possible, that during an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 not all components are replaced. Since the dead mainboard initiated a windows reinstall, all SS-components were replaced. Finally, regardless of the differences, the biggest gain in quality is achieved by using a recorder and doing realtime recording instead. And in that regard, I can definitely confirm Dex' experience.