No Mp3 Playing In Any Way At All?

Rate this topic

Hey everyone....

I know that you can't transfer music to a hi-md via sonic stage unless its via atrac but is there any other way you can transfer mp3's to listen to, i.e. through hi-sp when the md is set to the pc as a storage device or something. I say this 'cos when I brought my new md it stated in the description:

"Plays Back in ATRAC3 Audio, ATRAC3plus Audio and Supports Multiple Audio Formats (MP3, WMA, WAV)"

What I took by that was like my sony atrac cd player I used to have, you could chose to listen to wav, mp3's and atrac. I think maybe my sony atrac cd player lulled me into a false sense of security..... should have taken more notice of the 'and supports' part.

If there is NO WAY at all (even by being creative) of getting to listen to mp3s on my nh900 (which is a bit rubbish of sony) which would be the best way to convert my 192kps mp3s to atrac while minimising double deteriation from recoding twice. Would it be benefical to convert to atrac3+ 256kps or better to go for the atrac3 132 (or something like that) kps

cheers, all you lovely, lovely people biggrin.gif

Yes, you can play back mp3's if you are using it as a storage device. I do it all the time. When I go to a friends house, I just load up my 900 with mp3's, bring a USB cable and off I go. Takes 2 seconds to hook up. The best part is I don't even need a battery cause the USB powers the unit.

Hey everyone....

I know that you can't transfer music to a hi-md via sonic stage unless its via atrac but is there any other way you can transfer mp3's to listen to, i.e. through hi-sp when the md is set to the pc as a storage device or something. I say this 'cos when I brought my new md it stated in the description:

"Plays Back in ATRAC3 Audio, ATRAC3plus Audio and Supports Multiple Audio Formats (MP3, WMA, WAV)"

What I took by that was like my sony atrac cd player I used to have, you could chose to listen to wav, mp3's and atrac. I think maybe my sony atrac cd player lulled me into a false sense of security..... should have taken more notice of the 'and supports' part.

If there is NO WAY at all (even by being creative) of getting to listen to mp3s on my nh900 (which is a bit rubbish of sony) which would be the best way to convert my 192kps mp3s to atrac while minimising double deteriation from recoding twice. Would it be benefical to convert to atrac3+ 256kps or better to go for the atrac3 132 (or something like that) kps

cheers, all you lovely, lovely people  biggrin.gif

Yes, you can play back mp3's if you are using it as a storage device. I do it all the time. When I go to a friends house, I just load up my 900 with mp3's, bring a USB cable and off I go. Takes 2 seconds to hook up. The best part is I don't even need a battery cause the USB powers the unit.

Thanks Jenna, I was hoping you could do something like that and it was just sonic stage being arsey. Maybe the next sonicstage they bring out wont have the ridiculous atrac only stuff or their miserable copywrite poo. Can you do this in hi-md mode, and mix mp3 with atrac?

Thanks Jenna, I was hoping you could do something like that and it was just sonic stage being arsey. Maybe the next sonicstage they bring out wont have the ridiculous atrac only stuff or their miserable copywrite poo. Can you do this in hi-md mode, and mix mp3 with atrac?

HiMD in USB storage mode != HiMD audio.

Rephrased: yes, you can put mp3s on your HiMD discs as files, but the player will not play them. You -can- play them on another computer.

In this instance you're not using the audio features of HiMD at all. You're just using it for data storage.

Assuming that's understood, yes, you can mix files of any type along with HiMD audio on a HiMD-formatted disc. i.e. the data portion and the audio portion do not interfere with each other.

HiMD in USB storage mode != HiMD audio.

Rephrased: yes, you can put mp3s on your HiMD discs as files, but the player will not play them.  You -can- play them on another computer. 

In this instance you're not using the audio features of HiMD at all.  You're just using it for data storage.

Assuming that's understood, yes, you can mix files of any type along with HiMD audio on a HiMD-formatted disc.  i.e. the data portion and the audio portion do not interfere with each other.

bugger sad.gif thats rubbish. I was redaing on here that they were looking to hardware upgrade current mds to have capacity to play other formats and that the new models were going to be able to do this. Is that true? or just salacious gossip?!

It would be more beneficial to your ears if you went with 256kbps ATRAC3plus, but try 132kbps ATRAC3 just for kicks. None of us can really tell you what would be best, it's more of a subjective matter in my opinion..how about running some tests and tell us what you think?

Hey I did! Bearing in mind that listening is subjective... as you say. Recorded a mp3 taken from soulseek in atrac3+64, 256 and atrac 132. Didn't like atrac132 at all, sounded a lot worse to me than atrac3+64. Atrac3+256 sounded the best, but there wasn't such a marked improvment to warrant the extra memory. However, I was listening to quite a heavy song so I think you'd have to try some jazz or other more precise music which may appreciate the extra quality. There might be more of a marked improvement straight from CD's which I haven't tried yet but at the moment I think atrac3+64 is fine for general use. Answers on a postcard please....?!