Sony MDS-JB980 Impressions

Rate this topic

OK I Know it's not a HI-MD unit --but this has Optical Out (and IN) of course --and is a terrific unit --especially as you can get some great deals --I got a "re-furbished" one for 65 GBP (around 95 USD) and as most of my "Home" and Car listening is on LP2 disks I haven't really missed the lack of a high end shelf HI-MD unit yet.

I restrict my HI-MD stuff for strictly on the move --not in my car etc or if I'm at a computer (NH1).

It seems to me that the latest generation of MD gear (RH10) is strictly consumer --and apart from the nice screen not really worth upgrading currently.

I've got enough media to last me for years even if SONY do pull out of the MD market --I don't think they will as recently there seems to have been a little revival of interest as people discover how inflexible the "Crap-pods" really are and the problems of Hard disc units / memory stick type units when they get broken or people want to record new tracks to "full media".

Incidentally --ever tried ripping decent DVD sound on to one of those "Crap-pods" --sounds HIDEOUS MD beats it hands down at LP2.

a 2 1/2 hr lp2 is not such a bad penalty for most applications.

I am looking forward to some decent HI-MD units --but if you really want a High quality shelf unit with an OPtical Out really look at the JB980 --some great deals can be had on it and it comes in Black or silver.

BTW now I've got one you can almost guarantee SONY will release a High end HI-MD shelf unit --it always happens to me when I buy stuff --the model is discontinued and a newer one comes out. sad.gif

Cheers

-K

Thanks for sharing your comments on the JB980. May I suggest that you update this thread with pictorials (we can host the pictures. smile.gif ) and elaborate your impressions further regarding the dynamics of the JB980. This thread really belongs to either "Product Reviews/Pictorials" or the NetMD section of the forum.

I shall move the thread accordingly upon your response.

Glad you enjoy your JB980, Kyle - I really love mine too. Its an excellent deck, and feel sure it'll last me many years to come... I'm sure if Sony released a Hi-MD version of this it would wipe the floor with any of the so-called opposition. So let's hope you're right and they do so - there'd certainly be room in my life for both units...

I've been using a 920 (two models down) for 6 years now, and it works perfectly (although the display has faded a little)

I was considering the 980, but I don't know whether to hold on in hope of Hi-MD decks... wacko.gif

Edited by MDGB2

I've been using a 920 (two models down) for 6 years now, and it works perfectly (although the display has faded a little)

I was considering the 980, but I don't know whether to hold on in hope of Hi-MD decks... wacko.gif

Even if a HI-MD unit does come out --There's room in my setup for BOTH pieces of kit.

This is a QUALITY deck --built like a battleship and will last for a long time.

When you really come down to it if you are playing at home (not on the move) --and want decent quality is a HI MD disk @ HI-SP which plays 7 - 8 hours of music the only answer. A 2 1/2 hr LP2 disc is fine or even an 80 MIn SP one. --

Remember I'm talking about listening at home in a large room with top of the line speakers --not sat in front of a computer or travelling on a train / car / bus / push-bike etc.

(OK on the road other considerations may apply).

I've yet for CD quality to convince myself that PCM has much advantage over 256 Kbs @ ATRAC 3 +.

I've no probs recording in PCM, and saving the WAV on a computer but after that converting to ATRAC3+ @ 256 is fine by me.

I'd love a HI-MD deck --but some of the offers available on these MDS-980 decks are just too good to resist - especially at 65 GBP / 100 USD or so.

Hi Ishivoshi -- I'll try and post some pics and give a review later.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

How long does the 980 take to load a disc and read the TOC? My 20 is nearly instantaneous once the disc is in which I found really impressive.

Also, does it have variable analog outputs? Mine does but unfortunately only accessable through the remote which I do not have sad.gif

@ D-EJ915: If you are interested, you can order the JA20ES's remote commander [RM-D19M REMOTE CONTROL, Part #147577511] from Sony DAPC for $55.95.

Might do that, but that's over 1/3 the price of what I got my 20 for! LOL...haha, I guess I can get it eventually since nobody buys stuff from them. Thanks for the link though, last time I looked it was like 120 or something at another site.