Advice needed: Best Mindisc Unit for Field Recordings

Rate this topic

sadarang

Hi guys,

Just needed some advice on purchasing a suitable Mindisc Unit ideally suited for field recordings. I'm going to India/Pakistan next month for 6 weeks where my visit will be devoted to constantly recording a number of musicians in a live concert/ field setting. I've had a number of units in the past ranging from the Aiwa F5, F7, Sharp MT80 and also Sony portable DAT D7 all of which have served me well. As the units have started giving me mechanical problems, I need to find a suitable machine (also a cheaper 2nd backup machine) in the next couple of weeks. Would appreciate any sort of advice or recommendations on what to buy. Units which instantly come into mind are RH10, NH1, NH900, N1, Sharp DSR420 but am not too sure which unit will be most suited.

Regards

Jaz

I would recommend the RH10 unless you have some overwhelming need to record in LP2 or LP4 (which you wouldn't be able to upload anyway). The OLED on the RH10 is perfect for most field recording situations, especially in little to no light...

As a second choice I would recommend the NH900. I own both units and have used each extensively for field recordings/concerts. I would love to hear some of your recordings when you return.. Post some in the gallery here if you would like, or at least give me a URL if you post them online somewhere.

I have a NH1, NH900, Sharp DR480 and Sony MZ-R55 (old school!). For the kind of trip you are planning, I would go for a RH10 or NH900. The capability for direct uploading and external battery pack make it much more versatile than the others.

The NH1 is superb but has a proprietary Li battery and no external AA sidecar.

The DR480 (DR7) is wonderful, with fantastic recording quality and extremely long battery life, plus a slew of recording features not found in Sony recorders, but does not upload. If Sharp made a Hi-MD version of the DR480 but with OLED screen, NO ONE would buy Sony Hi-MD recorders. Here's hoping!

If you plan to upload your recordings and archive/distribute them on CD, a RH10 or NH900 would be your best bet. Be sure to carry at least two spare AA's and one gumstick as backup.

~Archivist~

Hi Jaz:

I would highly endorse the Sony MZ-R10. I've had my unit for the past 5 months. I sound quality in the PCM mode is excellent. The same quality as DAT. You get 94 minutes on a HI-MD disc. The backlight is GREAT for nighttime recording. One item takes some getting use to: Going thru the menus to set the manual record levels. The TOC writing (to finalize the MD) takes about 10 - 15 seconds. If are recording and don't want to change discs? I have had excellent results using the HI-MD HI-SP record mode.

My previous favorite MD recorder was an Aiwa AM-F70. This unit had the backlit display plus set the manual record mode once; even with disc changes. The advancement in electronic technology in the new SONY has put sound quality well beyond the Aiwa and all previous MD recorders; for that matter. The digital amp in the MZ-RH10 puts this unit at the cutting edge in portable recording! Get the MZ-RH10; you will really like it.

Don

Hi guys,

Just needed some advice on purchasing a suitable Mindisc Unit ideally suited for field recordings. I'm going to India/Pakistan next month for 6 weeks where my visit will be devoted to constantly recording a number of musicians in a live concert/ field setting. I've had a number of units in the past ranging from the Aiwa F5, F7, Sharp MT80 and also Sony portable DAT D7 all of which have served me well. As the units have started giving me mechanical problems, I need to find a suitable machine (also a cheaper 2nd backup machine) in the next couple of weeks. Would appreciate any sort of advice or recommendations on what to buy. Units which instantly come into mind are RH10, NH1, NH900, N1, Sharp DSR420 but am not too sure which unit will be most suited.

Regards

Jaz

i would say rh10 or nh900

I would recommend the RH10 unless you have some overwhelming need to record in LP2 or LP4 (which you wouldn't be able to upload anyway). The OLED on the RH10 is perfect for most field recording situations, especially in little to no light...

As a second choice I would recommend the NH900. I own both units and have used each extensively for field recordings/concerts. I would love to hear some of your recordings when you return.. Post some in the gallery here if you would like, or at least give me a URL if you post them online somewhere.

oleds are almost impossible to see in sunlight

The NH700 or NHF800--the 800 adds an FM remote--is a great field-recording option.

http://www.minidisc.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=469 has them at low prices, even with expensive shipping to the US.

Four complaints about NH900:

1) smoked-plastic over the un-backlit LED makes it difficult to read,

2) gumstick battery latch has to be taped shut

3) gumstick battery doesn't last like an AA--to be really secure, you need to add the outboard battery pack, which puts the size difference in favor of the NH700/NHF800

and 4) Pause and Stop--two very different functions--are on two halves of the same button, inviting disaster.

For recording and uploading, the NH900's digital amp doesn't matter--and some people think it's harsher sounding on playback, too. With the money you save, get an RM-MC40ELK remote which lets you monitor levels with backlighting.