(Hi-)MD in Bangkok

Rate this topic

WaywardTraveller

PANTHIP PLAZA,, Bangkok

Of course, my map once again isn't in front of me, so the street name escapes me...but it's one block directly north of Siam Square, and the plaza itself will be on every tourist map of the city you can find.

Walk in through the front entrance (the KFC and A&W are to your left) and keep to your left. There are two stores that have Hi-MD units (no legacy units; sorry bland) displayed in the windows; one shop had the Buffalo NH600 clone as well as the NH710 Hi-MD playback-only unit; the Buffalo was about CAD150, and I can't remember the price of the other.

The interesting news is that both of these shops have the HI-MD Data Storage units (DS-HMD1) in lime green, red, black and silver for THB3000 (CAD1 = THB31) - I bargained a silver one down to 2700, just under CAD90. Works like a charm, too!

MDs, though, are not competitively priced for Asia: 74min Sony Colour Collection MDs come in at about CAD2.00 each, and the only 80min MDs I could find were the infamous plastic-shuttered old Maxell Twinkle series. Don't bother looking around anywhere other than the first (ground) floor: the other floors are the domain of computer/camera/other electronics stores.

peace

WaywardTraveller