Recording a WHole Album with NET MD

Rate this topic

moon00

I hate all the technological chaos that gets in my way.

I decided to record my whole solo acoustic performace (singing as well)

with my old NET MD then transfer it to PC via analog headphone output.

Add some reverb on Cubase.

Then write it to CD.

And find an independent record company.

So does it sound crazy ?

I got a SHURE dynamic mic.

It may sound kinda like Damien Rice recordings

Don't really know what you are asking, until Hi-MD that's what we all did, if you do, upload us a track so we hear what you sound like.

If you really want to live, get a Hi-MD with mic input, or really live, and get an RH1, then you can digitally upload.

Good luck

Bob

There are many new recorders like Zoom H4 and M-Audio 27/14

but they are expensive around here+they seem complicated.

I guess it is not worth to buy them just for a tiny quality difference?

And they are additionally diff. to use+flashcards and SD cards are

unpreferable to Minidiscs I think.

Any ideas?

You seem to have posted the same question in two seperate threads. So I'll give you the same reply here as I did in the other thread:

If you just plan to "play into" your SHURE mic (I assume an SM58) attached to a minidisc machine, then you're only going to get a MONO recording.

The SHURE is a good mic for close-recording (i.e. right up near the instrument or your mouth)....which is why it's good for stage work. However, there are a lot better mics for micing a room (i.e. setting the mic back to capture your playing/singing). You'll want a stereo condensor mic. Even those little stereo mics sold by Sony are probably better than using the SHURE in this way.

Edited by Ral-Clan

The other option is to use the line-out of the mixing board into the line-in of the MD recorder, again recommend you get at least a ist generation Hi-MD (NH 700 or 800), the ease of digiatally uploading will make a world of difference to you.

Good luck

Bob

I prefered the analogish and fat sound of my Shure SD565 (a model

close to SM 58)

Go ahead and use whatever sounds good to you.

But: the Shure SM58 is made to pick up vocals and reject the rest of the band. Its response is tapered off below 100 Hz (that's just under your A string) and above 10,000 Hz.

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/publi..._sm58_large.gif

The little Sony mics are no better. But your MD can record 20-20,000 Hz, so you could get a better microphone. Or borrow one.

Also, if you record to NetMD you are going to be recording in a compressed format: SP at best. Then you will be re-recording in analogue out of the headphone jack and losing quality. With Hi-MD (or one of the other recorders) you can record in PCM and upload directly. The audible difference in fidelity between SP and Hi-MD will probably be more than the difference between HI-MD PCM and the 24-bit PCM of the Microtrack or Zoom.

For something as important as your own album, I would really recommend an upgrade on both microphone and recorder. An independent record company is probably not going to want to start with something so low-fi that it has no bass and the limitations of compressed recording.

I have already tried the SONY stereo mini condenser.

I did not like the result as mu guitar sounded to THIN with it.

I prefered the analogish and fat sound of my Shure SD565 (a model

close to SM 58)

That's fine, but just as long as you realise:

1. All microphones are analogue.

2. If you use your Shure mic, you will only be getting a MONO recording. Are you planning to sell or submit this? Perhaps a stereo mini jack to Y-splitter would allow you to plug two Shure mics in for a stereo recording....but as another user suggested, using an external mixer and the MD-recorder's line-in jack will work better.

I don't think you need a Hi-MD recorder. Frankly, SP recording is great and if it's good enough for thousands of soundmen & bands to record their shows off the board with, it's good enough for your demo. Lots of musicians (professional and independent) have used MD recordings to contribute to finished CDs. Of course, if your microphone sucks, the MD recording is only going to be as good as that.

Even old standard MD is good enough for a demo, certainly (if the recording is done well).

Edited by Ral-Clan