Integrated Amps

Rate this topic

bluecrab

Does anyone have knowledge of or an opinion about upgrading from one integrated amp to another?

I have a Marantz PM-68, it's not the most high-end amp in the world, but it sure is a cut or two above your run-of-the-mill receiver. 95 WPC and sounds all right to me.

http://www.spearitsound.com/Nevertheless, the fascination with newer and shinier things being what it is, I am wondering what I'd need to do to get something better that will result in an audiblde difference. I am looking at a Denon PMA-2000IVR. That is at 80 WPC but is a true dual mono, so they say.

I just have no way of knowing if the upgrade would be audible and if so, how much. Has anyone done something similar? When I got the Marantz...I dunno...9 or 10 years ago?....the difference between it and whatever receiver I had at the time was completely obvious and dramatic. Help!

I thought it would be worth mentioning that since posting, I did get some advice on this issue, from http://www.spearitsound.com/

I had an amp right in my sights (not the Denon, but similar) - on their web site and asked what they thought. Instead of going for the quick sale, they told me I really wanted more of an upgrade and gave some examples. Really, they could have told me, "Oh yeah, the NAD is the amp for you" and I would have bit on it. Now I guess I'll just have to save up a few more of those USDs and go for one of the even more higher-end amps I'd been considering. And they explained why, too.

Anyway, it's a pretty good site to check out. No MD gear, but plenty else shiny to look at, or buy if you are in the market.

Edited by bluecrab