Good bye, it was great!

Rate this topic

baturjan

This is my goodbye to minidisc that I used for 10 years. I recently purchased the Sony PCM-M10, which does almost everything I did on the MD. Aside from being a workhorse for me, the MD is just plain fun and sounds great to boot. There are priorities I have to make in my life and the MD didn't make the cut. :sad:

Thanks for a great ride and all the help many of you have been over the years.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

baturjan, sorry to hear you're leaving the fold. Please consider mothballing all your MD gear rather than selling it off. I went through a similar thing and sold off all my gear and disc (including some MD compilations that were very dear to me). I regretted it and wished I'd put it all in deep storage instead.

I already sold everything before posting. I'm pretty confident this time around, since it is the second time, sort of.

You have to understand that I never used the MD for music until some exploring/experimenting the last few months I used them. Had I used them for music earlier on, I might have kept them. The 10 years I used them was for field recording of speech for language learning (a Turkik language and Chinese). Of course, I used it a lot during language lessons in class too. I did do some recording of folk music of people playing in my house, but my use was very specific to learning languages.

The features of the MD that make it ideal for language learning are: sound quality, dividing/joining tracks, deleting segments of a track, repeat playback, labeling, and with HiMD bookmarks the greatest of all is the speed control.

The first time I stopped using MD's was when there was a couple of years where I wasn't needing them for language. I've now been working in the Arabic speaking world for a year, and that's when I started using them again (M200; NH900; R55). I replaced the MD with the Sony PCM-M10 because it does everything I need for language learning, works a lot easier with my Mac (mainly just less steps in the upload process), quicker in operations, far less buggy, a lot less accessories/equipment (I only use a 1/8" cardoid and a USB cable). Oh, I almost forgot, nice huge, straightforward buttons and a manual dial for recording level! Last, and certainly not the least, the sound quality is incredible. Of course, the price goes without saying when it's less than $300.

You have to understand that I ..... and certainly not the least, the sound quality is incredible. Of course, the price goes without saying when it's less than $300.

Right. Seems reasonable! I suppose you mean by 'accessories', the MDs themselves.

Overall, it seems that the Sony software was the real hindrance.

Ah! for simple USB copy-pastes!

Regards,

mdmad.