Mono microphone into stereo socket

Rate this topic

Soundbox

A very quick question here - I could not find this in previous discussions,

I have a mono lapel microphone (Realistic - a Tandy product) which gives a good solid sound on my tape recorder. When plugged into my MZ-R30 it only records to one channel, and when mono is selected I get a recording with a much reduced level due to mono mixing both the live and the shorted channel.

Would it cause impedance problems or amplifier imbalance if I fit a stereo plug with both left and right channels shorted together to give sound on left and right?

If anyone has any thoughts on this to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Ian

A very quick question here - I could not find this in previous discussions,

I have a mono lapel microphone (Realistic - a Tandy product) which gives a good solid sound on my tape recorder. When plugged into my MZ-R30 it only records to one channel, and when mono is selected I get a recording with a much reduced level due to mono mixing both the live and the shorted channel.

Would it cause impedance problems or amplifier imbalance if I fit a stereo plug with both left and right channels shorted together to give sound on left and right?

If anyone has any thoughts on this to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Ian

One answer is to get a mono-to-stereo adapter from Maplins/Ebay &c - but make sure it's the correct type!

I think, but requires demonstration to remind me, that shorting together L & R will give you no sound at all - because the 'second ring' on the mono jack is going to signal ground.. Giving zero impedance!?!

Look up the jack alignments on Wikipedia to prove this to yourself and verify whether I'm correct.

Ether way, I have sucessfully used my first answer for my own purposes.

You can also, btw, simply asign audio tracks in Audacity instead &c.? (Although it is not good to short the mic-in on one channel, presumably.)

Hope it helps!

mdmad.

Thanks for the comments. I will be going to Maplins on Saturday so will have a look what they have. I am pretty sure what type I need I think. To tell you the truth stereo is not always needed and a good mono mike can work well for single instruments (where a stereo mike would give emphasis to any noise present).

Ian