SI: The Karate Kid Is A Huge Success

Rate this topic

Christopher

Westwood, California - June 7, 2010: Director Harald Zwart, Taraji P. Henson, Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan at the Premiere of Columbia Pictures' THE KARATE KID at the Mann Village Theatre.

The combination of Jaden Smith, Jackie Chan, Taraji P. Henson and Harold Zwart proves to be a winner for Sony. With the The Karate Kid having made it’s way through the theaters, initial estimates show the film doing exceptionally well at the box office. According to reports the overall production budget for the film was in the neighborhood of $40 million dollars. Compare that to the total gross for the film, combining both foreign and domestic receipts, and the grand total is a little over $188 million dollars. Not bad considering additional revenue will still arrive from disc sales, and various digital distribution channels.

Given those numbers, it’s no wonder that thoughts of a sequel are already floating around. MTV talked with Harold Zwart about the possibility of a sequel and where he saw things going and he had this to say:

I personally think it’s now so much on its own two feet, given the success, that it would be interesting to see where we could take it without ever thinking about the old ones

He also commented on his dealings with Sony, thoughts on Will Smith’s production company Overbrook, and his desire to return:

I think Sony has been fantastic for me. They’re the best studio to work for. They’re such a filmmaker-friendly studio. And] Overbrook, in my opinion, is by far the coolest company. So, yes, I would love to work with them again

He may be busy with his next film Rollercoaster Tycoon in the coming months, but let’s hope he can indeed return for another film.

View the full article