help transferring problem minidiscs

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime concert taper and uploader to dime but brand new to this site, which was recommended by someone on taperssection. 

I have a few problem mini discs that I cannot play/transfer and I was hoping that someone on this board could give me some advice or has the expertise to attempt to transfer / salvage them.

I used a glitchy Sharp MD-SR60 to tape these concerts.  They all started off fine but at some point, they stopped.  The recordings SHOULD be there, but there was some problem with finalizing the disc (writing a TOC?).

1)   Silk Road Project with Yo Yo Ma, August 15, 2010, Orchestra Hall, Detroit, Michigan

The first half of the show was successfully taped although it’s very quiet.  There was an usher standing next to me the whole time and I got nervous and never adjusted the volume.  It’s the second half of the show, after intermission that did not finalize. 

2)   System of a Down, August 14, 2012, DTE Enery Music Theater, Clarkston, Michigan

I did not stay for the whole show.  The group of white trash in front of me was so distracting and annoying that I couldn’t pay attention to the concert and just ended up leaving.  I did not tape the Deftones.

3)   Tricky, December 19, 2010, Doug Fir Lounge, Portland, Oregon

Tricky did not hit Detroit on this tour so I sent my recorder to my friend in Portland to tape for me since this date is my birthday.  I felt like a jerk for sending her to a show with faulty recording equipment so this is the tape I am most interested in salvaging.

4)   Hanzel und Gretyl, March 6, 2010, Sky Bar, Bowling Green, Ohio

This situation is different.  This recording is so full of drop outs as to render it useless.  It recorded the whole time, but most of the tape is silent.  Something is wrong with this disc.  I previously used it to tape Peter Murphy at Clutch Cargo’s in Pontiac, Michigan.  Everything went fine while at the show, but on the way home for reasons unknown, the disc started to overwrite itself and I lost the recording! 

5)   nine inch nails, October 14, 2005, Savvis Center, St. Louis, Missouri

This recording was made by Hazekiah.  I do not know the equipment he used.  I tried three different players and none of them will read the disc.  I transferred 50-60 of his shows and this is the only disc that had problems. 

I’m trying to tie up my last few loose ends with mini discs and close this chapter of my taping career.  I use a Sony PCM-M10 now.   

Thought / suggestion?

-gladcarrot

Thanks for the suggestions but I am certain the problem is with the discs.  We have tried 4 different players and these are the only discs that did not work.

What would be the remedy to a disc if the batteries were removed while recording?  For the first three on my list the power seems to have stopped in the middle of recording. 

Thanks for the offer to attempt a transfer but I live in the United States. 

Alright..

When recording with that Sharp Unit you mentioned and there happend to be a power loss there would have been no toc written.

So the Track is not playable.

Now there is a Chance to rescue it by cloning the toc from another disc.

But the chances to get 100% the original files are not always given.Was the disc new? Then it could turn out well - if there had been older recordings that have been overwritten the chances to get a good result by cloning the toc are smaller.

Several Units allow cloning.. You should look the Forums for it.

;-)

There are some things that I will always like about minidisc, but that recorder you were using is practically stone age. The top of the line (as of eight years ago) Sony MZ-RH1 is the only MD recorder that will let you copy all your recordings at USB 2.0 speed to a computer, and even then you would have to install SonicStage software that is no longer supported by Sony. The solid state recorder you mentioned is much more versatile for your needs. Only if you really need the recordings recovered from the Sharp player would I even bother with it (cloning, what not). You didn't mention what brand disc you were using. The Sony discs were extremely reliable, but I had some Fuji's that were rubbish. 

Alright..

When recording with that Sharp Unit you mentioned and there happend to be a power loss there would have been no toc written.

So the Track is not playable.

Now there is a Chance to rescue it by cloning the toc from another disc.

But the chances to get 100% the original files are not always given.Was the disc new? Then it could turn out well - if there had been older recordings that have been overwritten the chances to get a good result by cloning the toc are smaller.

Several Units allow cloning.. You should look the Forums for it.

;-)

There are some things that I will always like about minidisc, but that recorder you were using is practically stone age. The top of the line (as of eight years ago) Sony MZ-RH1 is the only MD recorder that will let you copy all your recordings at USB 2.0 speed to a computer, and even then you would have to install SonicStage software that is no longer supported by Sony. The solid state recorder you mentioned is much more versatile for your needs. Only if you really need the recordings recovered from the Sharp player would I even bother with it (cloning, what not). You didn't mention what brand disc you were using. The Sony discs were extremely reliable, but I had some Fuji's that were rubbish. 

The are Sony 80 minute discs and probably not new.  I would often record over previous shows unless I liked the band a lot.   Like I said, I haven't used the Sharp MD-SR60 in several years now.   I will look into TOC cloning but it may be beyond my level of expertise and really don't want to invest in any more equipment.  I do have a Sony MZ-800D I bought to transfer some discs from another.