MD digital out?

Rate this topic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am considering the conversion of a few hundred of my vinyl LPs and would like, once I am done, to be able to make digital copies of these songs/albums--to PC or via stereo components, etc.

I have considered buying one of the "newish" CD recorders as they have come down in price lately, but I THINK I have discovered that they don't copy even CDs in digital -- only analog as they have some form of copyright protection (no digital copies from digital copies).

So, here is MD with a much higher pricetag, but...you see where I am going...I understand there are no MD recorder with a digital out unless you spend a fortune--is this true?

Also, do any of you ever regret have MD when you are sharing music with friends and can't just bring your favorite albums/songs to share in their car or home CD players?

I know that this crosses lots of subject matters, but I really want some of the technical info here, too, so that is why I posted here.

Thanks!

Confused Newbie!

Spend a fortune? Not really...

You can buy first generation portable recorders with digital out on ebay for cheap, but they don't sound as good as newer portables (which lack digital out). If you hunt around you should be able to find mid-range decks with digital out (JE770, and the replacement JE780), but if you are in America this can be a bit harder. Again, ebay is an excellent source for such equipment, and you can always import new from www.audiocubes.com

I don't have any trouble with MDs, since all my friends have some MD gear. biggrin.gif

I have a JE780 and it works great. It cost me about 325 euro. That's about $340 to $350. So it isn't really cheap but a fortune, not really. And if you look with you get for that money, not at all. But if you don't want to spend so much money on a minidisc. Why don't you buy a sound card with digital in and output. Terratec has some soundcards with optical in and out for very good prices. Or you can buy an creative soundblaster audixy platinum.