Noise when recording via mic

Rate this topic

Chrissy

I have the Sony ECM-MS907 mic and a Sharp MS-722 portable MD recorder. I get an unacceptable level of noise whenever I record. I've taken out the mic and noticed that the level of noise stays the same, which suggests to me it might be the Sharp pre-amp.

For example, I like to record ambient outdoor sound, but I often end up with more hiss than anything else. I really have to crank up the input on the Sharp, so, up comes the noise. Even recording my voice at home I had to have the input quite high.

Are Sony recorders better than Sharp when it comes to mic stuff?

Yes, I have the mic plugged into the 'plug-in power' socket.

Yes, the battery in the mic is fine.

I have a colleague who has the same mic but a Sony MD unit, and his recordings come out with less noise than mine.

If anyone can help, I'd most appreciate it.

I'm actually thinking of upgrading to one of the new Sony MD portables...

Chrissy.

I have the N1 and also the 907 mic, the recordings are like CD, I hear everything on the rec like I hear it with my ears.

Perhaps its because the Sony makes a automatic level adaption?

I haven't tried manual level recordings, but I suppose that it should work fine too.

Just try a player and the mic in some HiFi store out or test the one of your friend.

HTH

If you have used Sharp for live recording stick to it. They are much more highly regarded for live recordings, and better suited.

What you could try:

Get an external pre-amp and record via line in.

or

Try it out with a battery module. These are generally used to record louder sounds and to prevent distortion, in the small chance it isn't your internal pre-amp.

If you have the money, you might want to check out more recent Sharps, including the MT888 and the new DR7.

Thanks.

To be honest, I've always preferred Sharp units to Sonys. They seem much more robust. If you know the 722, you'll know it's built like a tank, compared to people I've known with battered Sony units.

I'd definitely spend the money on a pre-amp if I knew it was going to make a difference.

Can I use a 907 with a pre-amp?

Also, is there a website with comparison tables concerning signal-noise ratios for different units?

I can ultimately strip the noise out using Cool Edit at home, but I don't want to have to do that!

I am upgrading to a new portable recorder soon, as my 722's second rechargable battery is dead. I want to make the best choice, and mic input quality is very important to me.

I've also heard that Sony's line out quality isn't so good either, is this true?

I was considering getting Sony, but now I'm not so sure...

Many thanks,

Chris.

I'm sure you could use the 907 with a preamp, but I'm not totally clued in when it comes to mics, so I'll say I'm 99% certain.

Usually SNRs are given for decks only (I've found), but try here:

http://www.minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html

You might find something.

Yep, Sony has an inferior line out, 194mV, as opposed to 250mV.