MD and protools

Rate this topic

7spooner7

i've been reading around the web for a few days but still have some questions. my goal is to get the highest quality recordings from a portable recorder and then bring them into protools. protools supports .aif, .wav, sd1, sd2, and mp3 formats. i also don't want to spend more then like $250. to me that means a MD recorder. so i'll just fire off my concerns...

1) are all MD recorders stereo recorders with stereo out? i'll be using s stereo mic. maybe this is so standard they don't mention it.

2) signal path. i'm concerned about this. do i need to go out of the analog out of the MD (this will mean, A/D>D/A>A/D...thats a lot of converting and scares me) or can i make a transfer to my MAC and somehow get the data into protools.

what a pain.

3) any recommendations on a player for this? preferable with firewire.

thanks

1. Yes, in a way. If you get a budget Sony, or a Panasonic, it will lack line out, and you must use headphone out. Sharps and high-end Sonys have a combined headphone/line out jack.

2. Yes, you will need to go analogue from portable units. If you get a deck, or a first generation recorder, you can use optical out. It's all in real-time too.

3. Firewire? What for? Anyway, no such luck for you. None feature firewire.

It's $254 for a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (20-gig version) at newegg.com that will record directly to .wav or .mp3 and upload via Firewire or USB. It has a line-in, not a mic-in, so you'll have to get your own preamp.

It's a little more than you wanted to spend, but not too much, and it does pretty much everything you want. (Can you tell I wish I had one?) Unfortunately, :evil: MD doesn't.