Workaround for lack of mic input on MZ-N505

Rate this topic

ldsguy2828

Hey,

I was wondering if there was any possible workaround for the lack of a mic input on an N505. The only one that I know of is using something along the lines of a karaoke machine, which captures the mic input and sends it out via line out (I used a karaoke machine with my N505 to record piano music, but it wasnt very portable). Does a pocket version of something like this exist? One that would run off of batteries, have a mic-in port, and a line-out port? It seems logical, and one could probably be made, but im sure they're available somewhere on the internet. Also, I come across battery powered microphones every once in awhile (not too often anymore, actually) Does anyone know if these send out a signal similar to a line out?

-Thanks

If my memory is right, what you need is a microphone pre-amp, to which you connect a microphone (obviously tongue.gif) and then feed it into the line input of the N505. If you know what you are doing, you could knock one up with a 9V battery and soldering iron. If not, you can buy pocket-sized ones.

All microphones nee dpower of some sort. The ones that "don't need" batteries operate off power supplied by the unit that is recording. Minidisc recorders with Mic In have Plug In Power, which supplies 1.5V to power the microphone. However, some microphones require more power to operate, and can be run off batteries or Phantom Power, which I believe delivers up to 48V to the mic.

Thanks,

I'll see what I can find, but when you said that I can "knock one up" with a 9V battery, how would I do so? Would I just run the power from the battery into the microphone wire, or would I have to buy one of those circuit board kits from radioshack and do something complicated? (Im not all that tech savvy, I usually end up screwing something up whenever I use a soldering iron, haha)

:grin:

No, it is not quite that simple. :rasp: You'd basically need a kit from Radioshack (unless you were a full techy and had the parts in your tool kit) and solder that together, or just buy a complete one. Usually, you get what you pay for, especially for the assembled preamps.

All microphones need power of some sort. The ones that "don't need" batteries operate off power supplied by the unit that is recording. Minidisc recorders with Mic In have Plug In Power, which supplies 1.5V to power the microphone. However, some microphones require more power to operate, and can be run off batteries or Phantom Power, which I believe delivers up to 48V to the mic.

Different condensor mics have different bias voltages, yes, as with ribbon mics if I'm not mistaken.

Dynamic mics do not require any form of power to work, howewer.

Most non-dynamic studio, stage, and broadcast equipment are made to work with 48V power. Some mics have their own power supplies for 200 or or more volts to the mic.

Portable equipment is usually made for the 9-12V range. Most of what we use with MDs [i.e. mini and micro electrets] fit in this category, but still work reasonably well with only 1.5V.

Adding more bias voltage [especially fitting into the ideal range of the mic] increases headroom and lowers distortion [edit: it makes it possible to record louder sounds without clipping distortion, thence increasing your dynamic range]. Hence the purpose of battery boxes and pocket preamps.

Cheers,

D