(soft) clicks and pops when transferring to PC

Rate this topic

lyndon1904

I have an MZ-NH1 which I use for recording my concerts/students with a Sony ECM-MS957 microphone.

Since it seems to be impossible to use Sonic Stage to write microphone-recorded music to CD, I do what I've always done and transfer the tracks to the PC via a cable, edit them using Cool Edit and burn them to CD afterwards with Roxio Easy CD Creator.

I usually record in PCM format, with the recording level set to manual.

I've noticed that whilst the music sounds fine through the headphones, I keep getting soft but noticeable clicks or pops on the .wav file created by Cool Edit, and can hear them while the transfer is taking place. This usually happens once every 30-40 seconds, and is similar to the kind of interference you sometimes hear on a radio when someone switches a light on.

I used an MZ-R90 before I bought this new machine, and had no problems.

I have fitted clamp filters to both ends of the microphone cable and there seems to be a slight improvement - but it still doesn't explain why I don't hear these noises through the headphones but only on the PC during and after transfer.

I have also upgraded to XP Service Pack 2.

I don't know how much, if any, of this extra info is relevant, but if anyone can help I'll be really grateful. Many thanks! Lyndon