Help - RAM Upgrade for VPCYB15AG

Rate this question

patkim

Question

Hi..I have Vaio VPCYB15AG with WIndows 7 32bit.

Now it's archived / discontinued model. It came with 2GB RAM and one unused RAM slot. I am planning to add another 2 GB.

However need to know if that's supported by this model.

Memory Specs on regional site http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpcyb15ag     

Pre-installed/Max 2 GB (2 GB x 1) DDR3 SDRAM (MAX) SO-DIMM slots DDR3 SO-DIMM slots (Unused Memory slot 1) Memory Speed 1066 MT/s

Output from Speccy (system info software) 

RAM     Type DDR3      Size 2048 MBytes      Manufacturer Nanya Technology      Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)  

DRAM Frequency 532.0 MHz
Motherboard      Model VAIO (N/A)    Version C9012X4A

I am bit confused with the spec Pre-installed/Max.   while 2 GB  is pre-installed, it just mentions as (MAX) does it mean this laptop board can only support 2GB MAX?

Also if another 2GB is supported, can 1066 and 1333 coexists on board? 
Thanks.

3 answers to this question

The description leads me to believe that's the max the machine will support all right. Perhaps it had 2 slots so it could be loaded with two sticks of 1GB each. The only way to find out for sure is to putting 4GB like you plan, and see if it works. Maybe you can borrow memory from someone else and test it?

Yes, different speed memory can coexist, but the board will lower the speed of the fastest one to match the slow memory's.