Sony Insider Forums
Sign in to follow this  
denisten73

Sony MDS-JE510 dead display

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, denisten73 said:

Can you be a bit more specific? What is the "it" you're referring to? The TOC writing problem, or the dark display, or else?

Sadly I don't speak French at all. From what I see on the pictures, Jonathan dealt with a faulty power regulator IC, and the symptoms in his case - if I got it right - don't seem to have much similarities with your case (either the dark display, or the TOC writing problem, the latter being 99,99% sure as not a regulator issue).

Honestly, my limited knowledge already ended with the conclusion above, and - if your 510 was in front of me - taking that repair attempt any further I could/would only rely on swapping the boards with known good parts, to see if something pops out - either to support the conclusion, or to discover something totally different I possibly overlooked.

10 hours ago, NGY said:

Honestly, my limited knowledge already ended with the conclusion above, and - if your 510 was in front of me - taking that repair attempt any further I could/would only rely on swapping the boards with known good parts, to see if something pops out - either to support the conclusion, or to discover something totally different I possibly overlooked

I meant the dark display.

This deck is probably going for parts.Thank you for your help and patience. I really appreciate it a lot.

Well, we tried it at least. It needed more patience from your end, and you did a good job in getting back with exact measures, etc. Many people just don't bother coming back and telling what happened, while any information, even dead-ends could help future readers.

Back to Jonathan's post for a second: I took a grab on the text with an on-line translator, and what I understood is that his J3000 did not want to turn on, some segments on the VFD lit briefly, but the machine did not do anything beyond. He found the reason was IC309 being faulty, with the 3.3V system rail being shorted to ground internally.

I feel pretty much convinced - as your 510 does have the necessary power rail voltages and lot of functions (turning on and off, disc loading, etc., etc.) do work - that your's is a different case. Nevertheless, you may want to close that thread too for peace of mind, and measure the voltages on that regulator (as well as checking the one in your 510 if it shows that overheating symptom too). Some of it's signals are sensed by the MCU, it may worth a few minutes to see if all is there.