My MZNH900 review

Rate this topic

Tiesto

I ordered a MZNH900 at the first days of September but until last Friday (Dec. 17) I finally got it. Since then My experince with it has been pretty nice. I've tested the play function only so here I go:

The hardware

The MZNH900 is a beautiful piece of hardware, it's fairly slim and the front design is fantastic with that silver/black combination. The jog dial is VERY useful doing the menu navigation and tracks selection become in very simple tasks. The display is big enough to see all info that one needs to know, beside it is possible to modify the display contrast to read better so it's ok to me. The buttons are ok too, the five ways control key is sort of complicated but I guess anyone can get used to it. I'm using kleenex to operate the recorder to avoid to leave my fingerprints around the buttons.

The remote is great, very comfortable to use, to read and to carry on. I can do anything from the remote.

The Sound

For testing the sound I used the Philips SBC-HP800 headphones. These were my results:

When the source song is a sampled mp3 file from 256kbps to 320kbps or WAV the difference between Atrac3plus Hi-SP and Hi-LP is imperceptible.

When the source song is a sampled mp3 file from 128kbps to 192kbps the difference between Atrac3plus Hi-SP and 132kbps is imperceptible. But with regard to Hi-LP I can hear a small difference, however it can be fixed somehow with the six band equalizer.

The equalizer is a great option due to it allows to improve the sound according to the kind of headphones, for low sound quality of a record or song or for personal test. The Virtual Surround is a good option but I dont use it, I think it's meant to use with an auxiliar amplifier (without line out setting).

The software

SonicStage is a basic software, it is easy to use. The only drawback is if I want to update it Im force to reinstall it on-line.

The battery Life

When I started to use the MD with a 1400mAh prismatic the battery life lasted about only five hours (Atracplus 132kbps). I was very disappointed but I didnt know that the recorder is factory set to quickly start so I set this mode off. Now I have listened about eight hours just with two bar drop. So I have no complaints so far.

The Extras

I bought a digital camera bag for the minidisc (it fits perfect) because the recorder seems very fragil so I was afraid to drop it, only when I'm going to download new music I take it out from the bag. additionally, I bought two prismatic 1400mAh GP batteries with charger to get a better battery life performance so I havent used the battery that comes with the MD.

http://espanol.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/carm...lbum?.dir=/d6b7

The only one thing left now is to enjoy it :laugh: :laugh:

Happy New Year!!! :smile: :smile:

p.d. sorry for my English

De you really claim that you can't hear difference between original and hi-lp compressed file?

"When the source song is a sampled mp3 file from 256kbps to 320kbps or WAV the difference between Atrac3plus Hi-SP and Hi-LP is imperceptible."

I'll make myself clear: If I convert the same .WAV file to HiSP and to HiLP then the difference between HiSP and HiLP is difficult to hear. Even if the file is a mp3 compressed to 256kbps for later to be converted to HiSP or HiLP. Perhaps it's my hearing level or the h/p that I use, I dont know but that's what I perceive :wink: ...

I agree that the Hi-SP and Hi-LP difference was very noticable. When I first got my 900, I compared the PCM, Hi-SP, and Hi-LP recordings, and the Hi-LP wasn't as bad as I expected. But that's because I wasn't expecting much. My initial guess was for sound quality worse than a 128 kps MP3, so I was pleasantly surprised to hear it sounded about the same. Needless to say, MP3 sound has always been poor to me. I only have a couple of discs recorded in Hi-LP and those are ones I listen to at work for background music. Turning the volume up any reminds me how bad they sound. Hi-LP recordings are also useless for listening through a home system. I mostly stick with Hi-SP which sounds nearly as good as my old recordings on my 930.