confused about new models and recording

Rate this topic

evonb

Hi - I have a question about the new MI-HI models and recording. I have a MZR-900 that I love, but it is breaking down. I had it repaired once, but don't really want to put more money into this machine. I'm thinking of buying one of the new MI-HI models that has a "line in" function for recording off my tape player and my CD player (I mostly record audio books, listen and then erase when finished) and off the Web (primarily "talk"). I recorded or downloaded without problems from tape or CDs just through a cable between the minidisk player and the other machine. For the Web, I used the supplied Xitel digital link cable.

I've read various descriptions of recording onto one of the MI-HI models, which sounds as if I now have to use special software supplied by Sony, or if not, I have to convert the files I want to download into a format recognized by the software before it can be recorded onto the mini-disk.

Am I confused? Do the new models no longer accept the former simple transfer from tape, CD or Web?

Thank you for any help!!!

Edwinna

Hello, and welcome to the forums. :welcome:

First off, it's called Hi-MD [not MI-HI]. :happy: To put tracks on a Hi-MD unit, you will need Sonicstage 2.# or Simple Burner 2. Transferring music or various audio files is a very easy process and takes only a few minutes per CD. You can transfer from tape, CD or mp3 but they will have to be converted first, just like how things were with your R900.

The difference with these models is that the ATRAC conversion occurs on the computer and is then sent to the unit, whereas the method you had to adhere to was realtime and the ATRAC conversion was done within the unit itself.

I think this is getting a little confusing for newbies, so I hope this simplifies.

The mic-in and line-in jacks on Hi-MDs will do realtime recording, just as before. SonicStage, which started with the NetMD generation (MZ-Nxxx) of MDs, is for faster-than-realtime file transfer, so you can put a CD in your computer (or select some mp3 files on your hard drive), and have them imported and coverted into the minidisc format ATRAC in your computer, then transferred to MD as a digital file rather than a realtime recording.