Hi-md Browsing File Structure?

Rate this topic

mike.in.ma

I was originally a MD user, but the capacity sucked, and I switched to MP3/Ipod. I'm sick of the batteries dying and replacing them. I'm considering going back to MD now that there is a huge capacity increase in the media, plus i love the recording capbabilities, and replaceable gum stick batteries.

However, I'm kind of out of the loop. Can anyone explain the file structure of the HI-MD discs? I mean, with 74min and 80min disc, it wasn't necessary to have one; but with 1gig, i can't imagine finding the albums/songs/artists/etc I want with everything piled in at the /root level. I'm wondering if there is a similar browsing scheme as Mp3 players, that sorts things through the ID3 tags. I'll be working with mostly MP3 to Hi-MD, i know you have to convert to atrac first. So...I want to know if there is an id3 equivalent in ATRAC, and if these are grouped into some sort of scheme for easier browsing.

(if there's an faq on this, i apologize, i looked there, honestly).

Well, as far as organization goes HiMD is all right. You can organize the tracks into groups, and then flip between groups. If you use SonicStage it will tag the files with a track name, album name, and artist name. This is done for you when importing a CD, but I think you have to input these yourself otherwise. I don't really use mp3, so I don't really know for sure if SonicStage pulls info from the mp3's tag or not...

As far as playback goes:

If you hit play, the unit plays every track in order like a CD. You can also choose a couple other modes though. Group Play - Plays tracks in the same group.

Artist Play - Plays tracks by artist name

Album Play - Plays tracks by album name

Bookmark Play - Tag a bunch of tracks. Sorta like a playlist.

Program Play - Play back playlist

Thanks for the information. It sounds a little hard to navigate, maybe i ought to wait for the 2nd gen that supports mp3 then. really excited about the 32hr battery life....

Well, as far as organization goes HiMD is all right.  You can organize the tracks into groups, and then flip between groups.  If you use SonicStage it will tag the files with a track name, album name, and artist name.  This is done for you when importing a CD, but I think you have to input these yourself otherwise.  I don't really use mp3, so I don't  really know for sure if SonicStage pulls info from the mp3's tag or not...

As far as playback goes:

If you hit play, the unit plays  every track in order like a CD.  You can also choose a couple other modes though.  Group Play - Plays tracks in the same group.

Artist Play - Plays tracks by artist name

Album Play - Plays tracks by album name

Bookmark Play - Tag a bunch of tracks.  Sorta like a playlist.

Program Play - Play back playlist

It is tricky unless your unit has one of the 4XELK remotes. These nice little three line remotes have the play pause next track controls on a jog dial. Stop and volume up and down are right next to the jog dial. The best feature on the remote is the slider control on the front. You can slide up and down through tracks and then click down on it to select a group to expand it, or select a song. Without the remote my NH1 is usable, but forget searching for anything >_<

Edited by daremo

Guest tony wong

the browsing ability should be depending on the kind of remote come with the unit

with the flat remote, u have more browsing ability than the old, pen one