Sharp's Optical Pickups?

Rate this topic

Mikami

I am surprised there has not been much talk about sharp's new idea for integrated optical pickup since, Christopher MacManus informed MD community page, about it, on 1/28.

So, now we know sharp has/or is thinking about optical pick ups. And that these pick ups will be able to read both MD/and Hi-Md, by the means of using a laser to read the disc based on two different film proccesses through the use of holograms(that sounds cool, already!). So, we know sharp wants to be different and not copy sony. But, I wonder just what will Sharp's Phase-shift differential push pull mean for RES?

Does, this mean that sharp might be working on a reading proccess that might eleminate more errors during playback or reading caused when a disc is vibrated or when one is moving around? A more shock resistance Hi-MD!!!? That would be cool!

(Also, in the past Sharp improved or altered Sony's Atrac codex, will sharp do this again with atrac 3plus?)

this is great fun to think about!,

Mikami

Edited by Mikami

going by the english part alone (i cant read that other stuff tongue.gif ) its neither this nor that. only thing that seems to be sure is that it will not help when it comes to writespeed, and that makes it close to useless for me. but it may well improve playback quality, so for the sound-techs it may be interesting...

only thing that seems to be sure is that it will not help when it comes to writespeed, and that makes it close to useless for me. but it may well improve playback quality...

Improving on writespeed on Hi-MD would be hard. The writespeed speed of the bigger MO have not been improved on that much since 1986. However, you are right there is not really anything either in the English part or the Japanese part about recording, only reading. Since, Sharp, esp in their auvi line, takes great care with sound detail they may be trying to bring the Auvi tradition to Hi-MD.

Also, take a look at Sharp Eletronic components catalogue, you will notice that they specialize in alot of optical related parts and Laser diodes of many kinds.They have already developed a few famous hologram lasers for use with CD, and now they are almost finnished with a fast high powerd DVD hologram laser for writing and reading. Well, it is a guess, but they maybe trying to incorporate that tech into Hi-MD, but the speed issue is still gonna be tough. However, I guess that recording quality might be improved on and readspeed with protection. I am sure those sharp guys and gals are working hard to bring out something good.

regards.

Mikami