Mz-nh900 Ordered, Should Have Gone For Nz-nh1?!

Rate this topic

merkin51

Yesterday I ordered an MZ-NH900S from Empire Direct for £109.99 (inc p&P), which I thought was a good price... now this morning I read on here that Amazon sold off all their MZ-NH900's for £69.99, and still selling the MZ-NH1 for £109.99!! With free delivery from Amazon, this makes it the same price as the MZ-NH900S I have ordered. The fact that I could have had it for £69.99 a month or so a go, and that Amazon have the MZ-NH1 for the same price, makes me feel like I've cocked this one up.

Would it be worthwhile sending the MZ-NH900 back, get a refund and get the MZ-NH1 from Amazon instead? This will mainly be used for listening to music on the move, but I will also more than likely be recording live bands.

Your thoughts much appreciated...

Tim

If you can get away with it then yes, sounds like a good idea to me. But don't be too disheartened, £109.99 for an NH900 is still a very good price.

I got my MZ-NH1 primarily for recording, and its been excellent - the only issues I have (and this applies to all 1st generation Sony Hi-MD models) are that:

1. It doesn't remember the auto/manual recording switch settings. So each time you start a recording, you have to choose manual recording levels beforehand. Annoying, annoying, Sony.

2. You can only upload your recordings over USB once. Annoying, annoying, Sony.

The reasons I went for the NH1 rather than the NH900 were:

Build quality - the NH1 case is all magnesium, NH900 is part plastic.

Size (smaller than the NH900, and excellent for stealth recording)

Time/date stamping

I ordered the nh900 from amazon when they were £70 (finally dispatched yesterday), but I think I would choose it over the nh1 anyway....It has the battery pack so you can run it from aa's. I think the nh1 is best suited to people who record, and given the choice, I'd go with the nh900. Either way, the nh900 will do what you want of it and it is still great value.

Edited by matrulesok

Excellent, thanks for the response guys. I know I can definitely send the NH900 back and get a full refund with Empire Direct, so that's not a problem. However, I would have wasted about £9 delivery and also the price of me sending it back. Oooooooooh I don't know what to do... just the mere fact that I could have had it for £40 cheaper like a week a go is doing my head in... trust me to miss out on that by a few days sad.gif

I think I'm leaning towards getting a refund and getting the NH1. I'm not too fussed about being able to use AAs, I'm happy with just charging the unit when I've used it, and I don't plan on going travelling or anything anytime soon where I can see AA's being very handy. Also, I've just found out that the NH1 remote lets you manually change recording levels whereas the NH900 doesn't... handy for stealthing. If I had got the NH900 for £70 I absolutely definitely would have kept it, but it seems the NH1 would be better for me, especially considering it's the same price.

Any other areas where the NH900 beats the NH1 before I make a final decision?

I chose the NH900 over the NH1 for battery life! I travel a lot so the battery life is really important! Its so handy being able to connect a double A battery when u forget to charge it too. As far as i remember the NH1 doesn't have that but i cant be sure.

...Just read the other messages now. If having a much lower battery life doesn't bother you then get the nh1 i'd say.

If you can get away with it then yes, sounds like a good idea to me.  But don't be too disheartened, £109.99 for an NH900 is still a very good price.

I got my MZ-NH1 primarily for recording, and its been excellent - the only issues I have (and this applies to all 1st generation Sony Hi-MD models) are that:

1. It doesn't remember the auto/manual recording switch settings.  So each time you start a recording, you have to choose manual recording levels beforehand.  Annoying, annoying, Sony.

2. You can only upload your recordings over USB once.  Annoying, annoying, Sony.

The reasons I went for the NH1 rather than the NH900 were:

Build quality - the NH1 case is all magnesium, NH900 is part plastic.

Size (smaller than the NH900, and excellent for stealth recording)

Time/date stamping

Edited by sazmeise

What's the deal with MP3 on these bad boys - the Sony site says that both can play MP3, but from what I can gather on these forums, that's not the case?

2004 models (nh series): mp3 must be converted to atrac first. This is done when sonicstage transfers the music to the player.

2005 models (rh/dh series): mp3 is supported (as long as it is transferred by sonicstage).

What's the deal with MP3 on these bad boys - the Sony site says that both can play MP3, but from what I can gather on these forums, that's not the case?

They will play virtually any format, but said format gets coverted to one of the flavors os Atrac wacko.gifwacko.gif

Regarding the NH1 battery times (for recording anyway).

At both the shows I've recorded, I recorded about 3 hours each. And had the unit in 'pause' mode for probably another 1 hour spread between the 2 shows.

At both shows, I went in with a fully charged battery - and after recording the shows, each time 1 battery bar had gone.

The only time that battery life would be an issue for me would be if I were at an all-day affair and wanted to record everything.

To the person that asked about external battery pack for NH1? No, it doesn't have one.

If I were going to do an all day show, I think I would take a look and see if I could get a spare battery for the NH1 and keep them both charged.

Obviously, if you were at a 3 day festival (e.g. Sweden Rock), then the NH900 becomes more attractive - you'd just need a bundle of AAs with you.

But stealth is my main concern, and the NH1 is top-of-the-shop for that. Very small, and everything can be done from the remote (apart from the initial record+pause on the main unit).

I must confess though, if I had £69.99 to spare (which I don't!), I'd get an NH900 as a backup.

You can no longer get the NH900 and NH1 cheap on Amazon, they got too many orders and took them both off sale. £110 is a good price for the NH900, just not AS good but when things are being sold out it's all about timing.

I already had an NH1 (got one the day they were available in the UK) but umped at the chance to get a cheap NH900 as a second unit. The NH900 is nice, it's good to have full display on the unit but definately not as nice as the NH1, especially regarding build quality. The NH1 battery is good and does last the full time quoted. I would choose it over the NH900 but the NH900 is good if you don't mind the larger unit.

You can no longer get the NH900 and NH1 cheap on Amazon, they got too many orders and took them both off sale.  £110 is a good price for the NH900, just not AS good but when things are being sold out it's all about timing.

I already had an NH1 (got one the day they were available in the UK) but umped at the chance to get a cheap NH900 as a second unit.  The NH900 is nice, it's good to have full display on the unit but definately not as nice as the NH1, especially regarding build quality.  The NH1 battery is good and does last the full time quoted.  I would choose it over the NH900 but the NH900 is good if you don't mind the larger unit.

The NH1 is still available at Amazon for cheap smile.gif

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...3662578-4597217

Just ordered one, so I'll be receiving an NH1 and an NH900 now lol... guess I can make a better choice now though!! One of them will be going back, dunno which one yet hehe.

NH1 has a higher output Volume (5mW) than NH900 (3mW)

I ordered my NH1 yesterday morning over the NH900 this was mainly because of asthetics and build quality as i wont use the other features as i will only use it for listening to music. The NH900 is only £90 though although it use to be £70.