Any Disadvantage To Rh10 From Japan?

Rate this topic

tommyrod74

dry.gif I'm here in the US, wondering if there's any problem with ordering a Japanese rh10... I'd get the charging cradle, plus a choice of colors and a good price to boot- any downsides?

-thanks-

TR biggrin.gif

There are only advantages to getting one unless you consider price a disadvantage. I imported mine from Japan. It is worth ever penny.

Why consider the Japanese model?

The US model doesn't come with a color-matching, backlit LCD remote.

The US model doesn't come with the higher capacity gumstick battery.

The US model doesn't have the universal charger.

The US model doesn't come with a charging stand. The Japanese model does come with a charging stand.

The US model doesn't give you the choice of colors.

The US model doesn't support Chinese and Japanese characters on the OLED, so if you have any imports, your Asian characters for title and track info will read as ???

Why consider the US model?

The inclusion of all of the extras with the Japanese model makes it more expensive. Unless you care about the features mentioned above, you would be happy with a US model, but I personally wanted everything the Japanese model had to offer.

Edited by icel0rd

The US model doesn't come with a color-matching, backlit LCD remote.

The US model doesn't come with the higher capacity gumstick battery.

The US model doesn't have the universal charger.

The US model doesn't come with a charging stand. The Japanese model does come with a charging stand.

The US model doesn't give you the choice of colors.

The US model doesn't support Chinese and Japanese characters on the OLED, so if you have any imports, your Asian characters for title and track info will read as ???

Nice summary.

What colours *are* available outside Japan? What could I find here in Europe?

Plus the black 35ELK remote. Minus the warranty, unless you don't mind sending it to Japan to get it serviced, which isn't uncommon practice anyways.

how does the servicing process go shipping from NA to Japan to get serviced? I'm hoping if i buy the RH-10 from Japan, [because it comes in colors, has a stand, hi-cap batt, and lcd remote] it wont have any problems, but in case if it does because crap happens when you least expect it, or at least want it to happen, i'll know what im in for..

how long does it take? is there a place i have to contact before i ship it off? is personal communication required? any other notes or suggestions/comments?

The best thing is to verify with the merchant you are dealing with.

If they say they will honor the one-year warranty on the unit, go for it. You usually pay shipping to get it to them. They will service it at Sony Japan, which usually takes about 2-4 weeks.

Then, most of the time they will be willing to send back your unit to you at their own cost.

Good afternoon all! I will receive my RH10 later this evening, my first venture into the minidisc format - and rather than create a new thread, I was wondering,

Is the "gum-stick" battery on the RH10 replaceable by a novice? If so, would it be possible to get the type used in the Japanese model?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks streaml1ne for your fast reply!

I figured it was easy to change the battery, thats one of the reasons I'm trying minidisc over something like an ipod (and their dumb battery policy) but then I came upon this thread and didnt realize how much stuff we arent getting here in the USA.

I dont think I'll splurge for any the Japan version (since the US one should be at my house by now) but its too bad Sony couldnt have at least offered those here.

Everything you need to know about the RH10 is here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=8614

After wading through 6 pages of discussion (which I had already read, BTW) over a modem connection, I discover that the answer to my question is not in that thread. If you know, why can't you simply answer here?

Again: The RH10 comes in what colours in Europe? USA?

The European press release for the RH10 states that the colours will be Blue, Black and Silver, but then this still may differ (i.e. the UK may only get Black and Blue)...

After wading through 6 pages of discussion (which I had already read, BTW) over a modem connection, I discover that the answer to my question is not in that thread. If you know, why can't you simply answer here?

Again: The RH10 comes in what colours in Europe? USA?

The European press release for the RH10 states that the colours will be Blue, Black and Silver, but then this still may differ (i.e. the UK may only get Black and Blue)...

Thanks.

And I have heard that the US gets black and silver at least.

So that would make the orange the "rarest" and the one with the highest cool value. (Where "cool" == "geek"). :-)

Maybe that's why people on this board seem to like it, because it looks a bit odd to me. Or maybe the pix don't do it justice? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Maybe that's why people on this board seem to like it, because it looks a bit odd to me. Or maybe the pix don't do it justice? Thoughts?

I have the orange, and it's gorgeous in real life. You should check out my pictorial over at the T-Board (linked to in my signature, below)...

Edited by Rob F1UK

I have the orange, and it's gorgeous in real life. You should check out my pictorial over at the T-Board (linked to in my signature, below)...

Thanks for that! Well, the orange certainly looks distinctive. My only concern now is warranty issues. I guess buying from Japan is a bit of a gamble. But orange.... wow.

I got silver one from japan, and placed order from Ebay. (I'm in NY)

and no complaint here. happy for everything.

However, even if you are downloading japanese songs, if the computer is US, the letter wont appear as is. You have to type in at sonic stage again.