Mz-rh10 Mechanical Noise?

Rate this topic

lalo

hi guys!

i'm new to this forum...hello to all!

now i go straight to the question..

i have an MZ-R700PC ..and it does a massive amount of mechanical noise when recording/playing so i really can't do any 'quiet thing' recording...

i'm planning to buy this new Rh10...does it do any mechanical noise when recording?

thanx

lalo

While I can't say specifically about the RH10... If the 2nd gen units use the same transport mechanism as the 1st gen units do - my experience with my NH700 is that it's actually louder than any previous model MD recorder I've ever used.

That said, it's not actually that loud, but if you're trying to do field recording of very quiet sounds, it helps to:

* as skradgee said, keep the mics as far from the recorder as possible [using a 2m / 6' extension cable should work with most mics]

* put the recorder in or under something that can obscure the noise when you don't need access to the controls

* use a blank disc or a disc with no fragmentation [i.e. no deleted tracks] when recording to reduce seeking during the process

• 7 months later...

While I can't say specifically about the RH10... If the 2nd gen units use the same transport mechanism as the 1st gen units do - my experience with my NH700 is that it's actually louder than any previous model MD recorder I've ever used.

That said, it's not actually that loud, but if you're trying to do field recording of very quiet sounds, it helps to:

* as skradgee said, keep the mics as far from the recorder as possible [using a 2m / 6' extension cable should work with most mics]

* put the recorder in or under something that can obscure the noise when you don't need access to the controls

* use a blank disc or a disc with no fragmentation [i.e. no deleted tracks] when recording to reduce seeking during the process

My RH10 does make the occassional noise when recording. Loud enough my for the mic to pick the noise up. A 2m cable will be usful.

I have an RH10 and use to have a NH1. The NH1 is has more noise, yet the Rh10 stil has a little. I use an extention cable on my mic, yet this seems to have it's own problems as it seems to make a lot of staticy/scratchy noise if you don't have it 'completely' still.

Hope this helps - Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Well one thing I can say about the noise issue. If you have bought an MD and it came with the Australian bundle, the bag that comes in the bundle is absolutely excellent for muffling recorder noise. When out and about I usually wear pants with deep pockets, so the bag doesn't worry so much and usually where I'm recording there aren't many people about to notice me.

I do however think the amount of noise can be variable though. I have had it that if I take some of my md discs out and then put them back in at times that the sound of the noise heard has changed. Discs that are fuller sometimes seem to sound a little noiser to [guess it's seeking etc] Having recently got a MZ-NH900 to compare with my MZ=NH700 I don't think I'd assert that the 900 is louder, well at least mine at any rate - I'll have to wait and see if it's an age thing...

Stratman ;)