What Model Should I Buy?

Rate this topic

Rock

Hi,

I am new to MD and very confused about the makes and models. The model numbers don't seem to give any indication of what is new etc either.

I want one mainly for live mic input and maybe line in from a mixer etc.

I also want it to up/download from PC.

It seesm the newer models are way out of my economics as I have about $200 only to spend and will accept a used model as long as it does waht I need it to.

I have seen these models but not sure which is best..

Sony MZ-N910

Sony MZ N707

MZ 710

MZ R55

Thanks

Rock smile.gif

Hello Rock,

Scratch the R55 off your list, that unit is from 1998 and, while could still do the job, there are far better models out there.

Not really being in the loop when it comes to NetMD or HiMD, I'll stay with what I know, and others who are more knowledgeable with the two newer MD technologies can help out there.

Simply put, if you want to do live recording, try and scout a Sharp model. They are usually cheaper than Sony's comparable models, and do the job just as well, if not better. Something like a Sharp MD-MT180 or MT270 should cost you peanuts these days, and do what you ask of it above perfectly.

Of course, any MD recorder with a mic and line input can be used for microphone and mixer board recordings.

In order to get your live recordings to the PC, you will need some recording software, and it must be done in real-time. This is for all non HiMD units.

If you can only find the models you have listed above, I'd be getting the MZ-N710, because it would do the job without costing you too much.

You gotta go with Hi-MD for sure then. Where are you located?

Thanks guys for the help..

I am in Sydney OZ and those models were what I found on ebay that are located here in OZ, with prices up to A$250 with the 710 is selling at $250.

I unsuspectingly bought a NEW Sony Hi-MD Walkman MZ-NH600D yesterday on ebay before I realised it didn't have a mic in. Seems like a good unit with a 1GB disc but stuck with it now anyway! Now I've found this forum I feel a little more at ease about getting something. I thought regular computer parts were confusing the way they name them but these things.. wow!

There is a Sharp Model 702 there but doesn't say what it does..

http://electronics.listings.ebay.com.au/Au...istQQsofocusZbs

Any more help greatly appreciated.

Rock smile.gif

You could probably procure a US-model MZ-RH910 from eBay for less than its' price of 200 dollars and have it sent to Oz tongue.gif. It has the ability to upload recordings, although I don't know how to do that,...I know it does. I hope that helps any, try searching around here or www.minidisct.com/forum for answers.