Converting Speed.

Rate this topic

everso

Hi all,

I am making a few audio book Hi-MDs. The files seem to be taking ages to convert. A typical 15meg 30 minutes mp3 converting to a 10 meg 48 kbps ATRAC taking 6 or 7 minutes to convert.

The PC has nothing else running on it. Loads of free disk space, 512 meg of ram and 1.7 gig ADM processor.

I am on XP with SP2 installed and SS3.

If this is way slower than can be expcted has anyone any ideas what to do to speed things up.

Thankls in advance

Everso.

I am making a few audio book Hi-MDs. The files seem to be taking ages to convert. A typical 15meg 30 minutes mp3 converting to a 10 meg 48 kbps ATRAC taking 6 or 7 minutes to convert.

Sounds like par for the course to me. Last night I set up about 1.2 GB of MP3s to convert and it took somewhere north of an hour. I started it and went and watched NUMB3RS on tv. It's not exactly apples-to-apples (my MP3 varied from 160kbps to 320kbps, and I was converting to 132kbps ATRAC), but I guess the operative word when converting from one format to another is patience.

Short of buying a faster computer, I don't know what else you would do.

biggrin.gif

Thanks. Just wanted to know if I was way out or anything.

Everso.

Hi...Yes it does take ages...I have learned to live with it BUT!!! I have just bought one of the first 2nd gen Hi MD walkmans (MZ-RH910) and it plays MP3 straight off the disc.....FANTASTIC its the minidisc I have always wanted

NOTE...the Sony Spec says it should play MP3 bitrates down to 32K/bs this appears to be wrong...mine wont play anthing below 42KB/s....but hey, I can live with that, it is really good...if u like minidisc and copy alot of MP3 stuff, then get one

Also I have found that MP3 audiobooks are the worst to transfer (pree 2nd gen) cos the tracks are so long, and S.S is quite reasonable when you are dealing with 3 min tracks..ie transfer one/convert one

but with long tracks...say 30 min, it has to wait for conversion b4 transfer, and that means periods where the software is only doing one task...buy a 2nd gen machine ASAP...you will love it