Free 2nd Hi-md Upgrade For Euro Nh900 Users?

Rate this topic

IdiotSavant

Now I'm not entirely sure that this will work (someone please tell me if they've tried it and it doesn't) but I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

See, I'm under the impression that everyone with a Euro NH900 seems to have been stuffed over a bit (lack of stop button function, menus not working correctly, etc.) but it seems to me that this violates the manufacturer's garuntee a bit, in that the unit doesn't work as is stated in the instruction manual.

That in mind and that the 1st Gen Hi-MD units weren't released all that long ago, it seems a lot of people should have a unit with a fault which should violate the manufacturer's 12 month garuntee.

So what I propose is that you should be able to return your unit to wherever you got it from, piss about a bit until they realize that all the Euro NH900 versions are broken, then get a new unit (second gen, of course.) Am I crazy with that logic?

When I ordered my N910 a couple years back (from Empiredirect.co.uk) the thing had a fault whereby it would appear to pause when doing synchro record and there was no signal, but would in fact continue recording about 5 minutes of nothing until the unit shut off. I managed to return my unit on the basis of that and was offered the choice of a new N910 unit or a different unit of equivalent price. (I stuck with the N910 in the end, but the point still stands.)

Fact is, if you have a faulty unit still under garuntee then you should be able to return it, either for another unit (which will of course also be faulty, so that will thus be returned too, and so fourth) or for another unit (of equivalent or lower price or some such) but either way, it's an upgrade to a new 2nd Gen unit (assuming the things hit Europe within the next 6 months, that is.)

Anyway... opinions on this anyone? Mainly I'm just posting it here in case someone spots something terribly flawed with all this and can stop me from attempting something stupid.

Now I'm not entirely sure that this will work (someone please tell me if they've tried it and it doesn't) but I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

See, I'm under the impression that everyone with a Euro NH900 seems to have been stuffed over a bit (lack of stop button function, menus not working correctly, etc.) but it seems to me that this violates the manufacturer's garuntee a bit, in that the unit doesn't work as is stated in the instruction manual.

That in mind and that the 1st Gen Hi-MD units weren't released all that long ago, it seems a lot of people should have a unit with a fault which should violate the manufacturer's 12 month garuntee.

So what I propose is that you should be able to return your unit to wherever you got it from, piss about a bit until they realize that all the Euro NH900 versions are broken, then get a new unit (second gen, of course.) Am I crazy with that logic?

When I ordered my N910 a couple years back (from Empiredirect.co.uk) the thing had a fault whereby it would appear to pause when doing synchro record and there was no signal, but would in fact continue recording about 5 minutes of nothing until the unit shut off. I managed to return my unit on the basis of that and was offered the choice of a new N910 unit or a different unit of equivalent price. (I stuck with the N910 in the end, but the point still stands.)

Fact is, if you have a faulty unit still under garuntee then you should be able to return it, either for another unit (which will of course also be faulty, so that will thus be returned too, and so fourth) or for another unit (of equivalent or lower price or some such) but either way, it's an upgrade to a new 2nd Gen unit (assuming the things hit Europe within the next 6 months, that is.)

Anyway... opinions on this anyone? Mainly I'm just posting it here in case someone spots something terribly flawed with all this and can stop me from attempting something stupid.

But if you got it from amazon for £70 - you may as well keep it!! biggrin.gif

Welcome to these forums,

See, I'm under the impression that everyone with a Euro NH900 seems to have been stuffed over a bit (lack of stop button function, menus not working correctly, etc.)...

... until they realize that all the Euro NH900 versions are broken, then get a new unit (second gen, of course.)...

... you should be able to return it, either for another unit (which will of course also be faulty, so that will thus be returned too, and so fourth)

...but I do have a slight problem with your theory dry.gif ... what makes you believe that ALL Euro NH900's are unrepairably broken? Never occured to you that it could have been just some machines and that (if you find an adequate technician) it can be repaired quite easily? blink.gif

I'm the proud owner of a NH900, and I have experienced the 'button malfunctions and inaccessible menu' problems (see this thread or this thread and even this one) and after being advised so by the helpfull ppl here on MDCF, I took my NH900 in for repairs and after some time...it returned to me, repaired (for free naturally), and has worked like a charm ever since! And yes, it was repaired, not secretly switched with another (non-Euro) NH900, I have checked the serial numbers...and I refuse to believe Sony would falsify serial numbers to cover the traces of their big Euro-NH900 conspiracy... laugh.gif

ok, lets face it...you bought an NH900 at a time they were still quite expensive (I hope, otherwise, I would say: "be happy like Matrulesok or buy another one, but stop whining..." shout.gif ) and now you see the 2nd generation players that support MP3( ...drool...) but either you don't have the money, or don't want to spend it to get such a machine... so now you figured, hey...maybe I can get one for free...

you could always try, but check this thread, first, as this actually gives you a real reason to get an exchange/upgrade to 2nd gen, and the experiences of a user who has succedeed in doing this...

but for me personally... I couldn't care less about 2nd gen Hi-MD, ok, I like the OLED, but no LDC-remote and way to easily scratched and I don't use/have/like MP3's... I even recommend the NH900 as a model to other ppl who want to get a top Hi-MD model, but couldn't be bothered with MP3, and even after a couple of quirks, I will continue to do so... what technology is perfect? And can you ensure me that the 2nd gen are better? Seems the RH10 is missing a number of letters (haha, made a pun without even realising it) in some region settings (yes Europe too tongue.gif ) and editing possibilities in others (but don't mention this out loud...might be your ticket to a 3rd gen model wink.gif )

wait a minute...maybe this is all part of Sony's grand scheme to quit selling stuff totally... once they stop those stinking little consumers from buying their products, they can finally do what they want HAHAHA bigsmile.gif (sorry, there was no 'mad-professor smily) ... or could it just be that the Hi-MD technology, even though it has already shown great potential, is still being developed... we are talking about 1st and 2nd gen players based on a completely new technology...

*edit: sorry if I appear to be ranting or even flaming...but I don't really react well to unfounded conspiracy theories...

**edit2: I paid my NH900 a hefty €250 (in december) and I still love it laugh.gif

Edited by The Low Volta

I have one of the Amazon £69.99 NH900s and I have to say I love it. Since I got it I have probably used it more frequently even than my NH1. I would certainly rate the NH900 above any of the second gen HiMDs, with the possible exception of the DH10P and would not want my lovely NH900 to be replaced. You're working on the assumption that everyone who has a first gen would rather have a second gen: this is not true at all. So far my NH900 has shown no sign of any faults although I am aware from this forum and the T-board that there do seem to be some issues with buttons and with editing functions on the NH900.

Even apart from that, if something went wrong with it and it were to be replaced ( and I would much rather it were repaired, I have my NH1 while I wait) with the closest-priced model that would be the RH710 - a poor replacement for the second from top-of-the-line NH900.

I don't think that all European NH900s are faulty (unless you count he now defeatable capping), it may be random units or certain batches. I think if anyone wants to try this it should be done on an individual basis, which is how Sony would treat it anyway - I don't see them ordering a mass recall. If someone has a recorder that doesn't work as it should then by all means let them send it for a repair or replacement, they have a right to get a functioning unit, that's what they paid for.

(Having said all that, there is one player that should have been recalled en-masse and replacements/refunds issued as required: the criminally Euro-capped N710)