Auto Trackmarks

Rate this topic

SkttrWave

Hi,

I'm going to record some bands next week with my MZ-NH600. I'll be running mics > batt box > MZ-NH600 (line-in). I tried recording through line-in and it works fine, except that it adds trackmarks every ~2 secs there is silence. I then tried the option from the faq to put time-marks at 60 mins to get just 1 trackmark rather than one at every gap, but it doesn't seem to work sad.gif

Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance

let the trackmarks be put in, just ignore them, upload, combine in SS convert to wav, add correct marks in cd-burning software as explained in this brilliant thread by Dex...please read the stickies

greetings, Volta

Thx, that brilliant thread should solve my problem smile.gif I read all the faqs but decided not to read that thread cause I thought it'd only explain how to burn the seperate files gapless to cd, and I wanted to get 1 large .wav file. But after reading the thread properly, I found it explains how to combine all my tracks smile.gif

Thanks again, especially Dex for writing the brilliant thread smile.gif

Hello,

its not a big deal also, to delete unwanted trackmarks after recording: just playback tha first track, enter pause mode, skip to the next trackmark with FF (>>) and press the T.MARK/REC-key to remove it and repeat the FF/T.MARK/REC. -sequence until only track 01 remains.

Cheers - Killroy

to delete unwanted trackmarks after recording: just playback tha first track, enter pause mode, skip to the next trackmark with FF (>>) and press the T.MARK/REC-key to remove it and repeat the FF/T.MARK/REC.-sequence until only track 01 remains.

Killroy, that would seem like a good way to erase unwanted trackmarks, but some sort of bug with this has been known to cause errors when uploading later (read this thread)...so I would really advise against using this technique!

Please read and use Dex's technique I referred to in my previous post! It really is the safest way to upload for anyone, not only ppl who want to burn gapless CD's...

greetings, Volta

Killroy, that would seem like a good way to erase unwanted trackmarks, but some sort of bug with this has been known to cause errors when uploading later (read this thread)...so I would really advise against using this technque!

Please read and use Dex's technique I referred to in my previous post! It really is the safest way to upload for anyone, not only ppl who want to burn gapless CD's...

greetings, Volta

Hi,

according to my experiences, this bug does only apply if you try to combine different recordings (i.e. "record" was stopped and the "system file" (TOC) was written to disc in between) by deleting the trackmark which separates them.

Within any contiguous recording, where trackmarks were only set by auto track mark, time mark or even manually with the T.MARK.-key, I never experienced any problems after removing some or all of this kind of trackmarks!

However, my own experiences are not the total experiences of mankind, of course :-)

Cheers - Killroy.

according to my experiences, this bug does only apply if you try to combine different recordings... Within any contiguous recording, where trackmarks were only set by auto track mark, time mark or even manually with the T.MARK.-key, I never experienced any problems after removing some or all of this kind of trackmarks!

have you read the thread I mentioned? Fluffcat1 writes:

my problem: recorded a band using mics / batt. box via line in with auto track mark on, edited on the disc to remove some marks and add others. Tracks play fine on the disc. Uploaded into sonicstage however, and any track that was combined from two, stops where the track mark used to be, the timer increments but there is no sound output. If I move the slider along slightly the sound recovers.

so I would really advise to use Dex's way if you want to be safe...

greetings, Volta

Hello,

as I mentioned in the last sentence: my own experiences are not the complete experiences there are...

I frequently record radio broadcasts at night with time mark set to 3 minutes and delete the timer trackmarks out of pieces I want to upload to SonicStage then - without any problems by now...

In fact, I really never combine tracks during edit, so that may be the source of problems indeed-?

Cheers - Killroy.

In fact, I really never combine  tracks during edit, so that may be the source of problems indeed-?

ehm, erasing a trackmark=combining two tracks, the one before and the one after the mark in question... I don't think Fluffcat1 did anything else than you, just make one long track in sequence out of the marked mess..;the only thing he did do was to add marks at different points afterwards, but those didn't give any upload errors...

but please Killroy, let's not extend this discussion: I know you don't pretend that your method will effectively work or everyone...and I know about at least one case in which it has ruined an uploading!

So just to be on the safe side and to prevent other threads like Fluffcat1's, I just would like to recommend the one safe way (until proven otherwise) which is Dex's...

You, like anyone else, can use whatever you want, but only if you are aware of the dangers and you all promise not to come complaining if it goes belly up...

greetings, Volta

PS: as far as I'm concerned we have clearly answered the poster's question and this topic is closed

Hi,

You're right, deleting a trackmark = combining two tracks. Period.

What I rather meant here was combining two tracks after a gap was created betrween them by erasing or moving things out before.

However, I agree to close this discussion, except the part that I cannot promise to not complain as soon as I experience the first problem with my methods too - just to warn the others :-)

Cheers - Killroy.

• 5 months later...

Well, deleting auto T marks directly on the MD unit has yet another potential difficulty - there may be quite a few of them. For e.g. my recordings of sermons usually get some 100-200 T marks per recording (couople hrs)

But then, how do you eliminate the small repeated tails of each track duplicated in the beginning of the following track after transferring tracks individually?

Looks like some sort of editing automation needs to be implemented...

I think these repeats are right on the disc rather than something that arises from the transfer - as memory serves me they happen whatever transfer method/joining method you use - they are a consequence of the dreaded auto track marking and perhaps one of Hi-MD's biggest built-in downsides. And they are not constant enough to be automatically editable IMHO.

... And they are not constant enough to be automatically editable IMHO.

If the variance is only in the repeated sections lengths - that's not a problem. Probably a simple Perl script will do (is there a Perl WAV module out there?)

Do you think the actual audio samples are repeated exactly bit-to-bit?

I think so, from observations made some time back. I guess if the sample values were to be compared in some way a program could spot the duplicates - the statistical chance of precise duplication happening naturally would be tiny, and the program would only need to look at the samples around the start/end of files (before going on to join them?). I suspect there's something of the sort going on in the Hi_MD Renderer program. Pity Sony didn't put that in their code themselves....