I want to listen to MD in the car

Rate this topic

soundalike

Hi

Can anyone recommend a brand/distributer for one of those dummy cassettes that you use to plug your MD/CD player/iPod ohmy.gif /... into an old car stereo?

I had a look on eBay e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

but I'm not convinced that this will produce a decent sound quality or last more than 5 minutes.

I've also seen the FM transmitters that purport to do the same job - they're illegal in the UK but I'll take the chance if anyone can convinve me that they are any good wink.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi

Can anyone recommend a brand/distributer for one of those dummy cassettes that you use to plug your MD/CD player/iPod ohmy.gif /... into an old car stereo?

I had a look on eBay e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

but I'm not convinced that this will produce a decent sound quality or last more than 5 minutes.

I've also seen the FM transmitters that purport to do the same job - they're illegal in the UK but I'll take the chance if anyone can convinve me that they are any good  wink.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I'd take the tape adapter over one of the FM transmitter jobs any day. I got one on eBay and it was more trouble than it was worth: burned through batteries and didn't impress me audio-wise and changing discs with the thing hanging off the portable was definitely causing a road hazard for those around me! In end I picked up an MDLP deck for a couple hundred quid and I'm a happy man.

Tape adapters are pretty cheapo, but they've been around since the portable CD player days, so I wouldn't be too bothered about brand names; if it craps out on you it didn't cost more than a couple of quid anyway, right? I have a Recoton one, but I've had others in the past that I've lost or given away. Quality will probably never be better than FM radio, sorry to say, but unless you've got a luxury car that filters road noise well, I doubt it'll bother you too much.

I think this is due to the "balance" of voulume that you need between the volume on the md unit and on the cassette player. If you have the volume too high on the MD it results in total distortion - trick is to reduce the volume on the md unit and increase it on the cassette player until you get it just right.

Thanks for this folks biggrin.gif

I've just picked one up this morning from a car boot sale! It cost me 50p - less than a can of coke! Quality is as good as I could expect for this price and blogger is correct in saying that the balance between the MD and the car stereo has to be right.

I'll wait until this one breaks and then maybe spend a little more on a Sony one from eBay.

Cheers

PS. Is it safe to use the power supply from this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

on a Sony HiMD (NH900)?

Edited by soundalike

Hi

I've also seen the FM transmitters that purport to do the same job - they're illegal in the UK but I'll take the chance if anyone can convinve me that they are any good  wink.gif

I bought an FM transmitter, from an eBay seller, and was disappointed by the sound quality . . I shouldn't be surprised it makes a Minidisc player sound like a cheap, mono FM radio. Only cost me a few quid so it was a cheap experiment.

I've used a cassette adapter in a previous car, and was quite impressed by the sound quality, certainly much better than the transmitter.

The major problem with both is the battery drain on the Minidisc, which is a bit of a pain.

Andrew

We're doing a cracking deal at the moment on car minidisc players.

You can check them out here :=

Car Minidisc Sale

Time to kick those fiddly casette adapters to the curb...

We are also doing the MZ-N520 NetMD walkman for 89.99 with more models coming in stock very soon.

£129 for the CA-790x is a good deal and it's a nice deck. Supports MDLP and recognizes group function (the way it ought to work: plays all tracks in order, but allows jumping between the groups. If only my Sony shelf unit worked the same way); plus you can hook up a multi-disc CD or MD-changer to it (I just copy all my CDs to MD, so not an issue for me).

I found it pretty easy to install in my Saxo as well, so don't be put off by having to pull your existing stereo if that's a factor.