Travel Montage. NH1 + Reactivesounds mic. Possible?

Rate this topic

plr

Hi all, I own a NH1 that I've never really used.

Now, I'm going on a trip soon and I would like to

experiment with recording a travel montage (would

love someday to produce the same quality as

those heard on the radio, although I think they

use very expensive Nagra gear) and would like to

ask what to expect from bringing a NH1 and a

cheap reactivesounds mic recording ambient street

sound with occational commentary. I've done no

recording work before.

Any comments ?

mike

The Reactive Sounds Delta, which looks like it should plug directly into the MD unit, will pick up the motor noise of the unit if it's used that way. So it has to be separated from the machine (with an extension cord) and somehow balanced or suspended because it's solid metal and relatively heavy--too heavy to clip to a lapel. It also has a curved, triangular back, so you can't really lay it on something. They sell a tripod to hold it. This seems unduly cumbersome to me, and certainly isn't stealthy.

If you mean the Reactive Sounds Auris, the pair of clip-on mics, that would be a better solution: clip them to your collar or your hat for great, immersive travel sounds recordings (probably your collar if you want to also capture your narrations).

But you can get the same microphone elements cheaper in the Sound Professionals BMC-2's. Get them with the clips. If you want to mount them on eyeglasses or something else--see greenmachine's pinned thread in this topic--the Sound Professionals BMC-9 look very tempting and tiny, but it doesn't look like they offer clips that hold them.

And by the way, I've seen an NPR reporter use a (Sharp) MD recorder.

They sell a tripod to hold it. This seems unduly cumbersome to me, and certainly isn't stealthy.

But you can get the same microphone elements cheaper in the Sound Professionals BMC-2's. Get them with the clips.

If you want to mount them on eyeglasses or something else--see greenmachine's pinned thread in this topic--

the Sound Professionals BMC-9 look very tempting and tiny, but it doesn't look like they offer clips that hold them.

I'm going on a bus-trip. Mics clipped onto eyeglasses - bet I'll score big with those on - they'll think I'm nuts :-)

Thanks for taking the time and for the great tips. I think you are right about the Reactivesounds mics.

I'll do some research on the Sound Professionals mics and check out the greenmachine thread.

mike

Hello again,

I've read up on the bmc-2 on this forum (if you like me want to get into recording and need a cheap mike, seach this forum for bmc-2. There are lots of info on the subject) and decided to go the Sound Prof. BMC-2 mic with clips.

Thanks A440

mike