enduromon

Question

• Answers 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Hi SimonbUK, gnice to hear you're enjoying the Sony. I prefer it to my Touch 2G as well, much more fun to listen to.

By the way, you said Wi-Fi works perfectly well, are you talking about general internet browsing /email etc? I think the Netfront browser is truly horrendous!!!!

Hiya

I agree Netfront isnt the most userfriendly especially having to type HTTP etc etc and the virtual keyboard is truely awful, however focusing on the WIFI connectivity it works well, it always connects, never had a disconection, youtube has always worked error free as per large podcast downloads.. I only use wifi for maybe checking mails / facebook when away and it has always worked perfectly no errors..

I can only hope this is work in progress and that we will get a firmware upgrade..... opera would be nice...

Still love the player regardless of the browser :)

QQs to Anyone

1) Why did they drop bluetooth ?

2) The home screen , the nine icons are not central, does this mean a firmware upgrade will ad three new icons with new functionlaity :))

3) I thought the player would have a shortcut to a music strore where we could download/purchase music over Wifi ?

4) The earphone EX700 will they be upgraded with noise canceling feature ?

5) what are sonys plans for this player ...

Many thanks

Hello from Germany :-)

I'm the new guy ;-)

I'm a big fan of the Sony Walkman series and can't wait until I can buy the Sony X with 32GB here in Germany.

I'm currently unhappy with my Sony NWZ-S638 because of its display: When I'm outside I have a black mirror and can't see anything on the walkman! That's pure crap! My old and lovely Vaio pocket is readable outside very well!

The iPod touch display performs very well outside even in direct sunlight.

How about Sonys new flagship? Can I see anything on the display when I'm outside in sunlight etc.?

If not this will be an absolute NO GO from Sony.

Hope you can answer this question.

Thank you!

Cover Art Bug!

Has anybody noticed that if you have say 3 albums all named "Greatest Hits" by 3 different artists then the cover art in the albums list get mixed up and the same art is displayed for all 3 albums!

It displays the correct artwork when a track from the album is selected to play though.

KittyKat, is your album art displaying okay? I had an issue with a few covers that didn't appear, but I eventually solved it. If anyone else is having issues, just say, and I'll explain how I fixed it.

HELP !! I cannot get ANY cover art to display. Using WMP11 - all cover art displays there okay. Have tried loading onto X using Sync, Drag and Drop and bundled Media Content software, but nothing works for getting the Album ARt to appear.

Would really appreciate any help on offer !

cheers,

p

HELP !! I cannot get ANY cover art to display. Using WMP11 - all cover art displays there okay. Have tried loading onto X using Sync, Drag and Drop and bundled Media Content software, but nothing works for getting the Album ARt to appear.

Would really appreciate any help on offer !

cheers,

p

Hi Paul, first of all make sure the album art is embedded in your id tags (I use mp3 tag because it's simple). Then sync again once you've made sure they're embedded in the files. You should find they appear on the Sony once you've done that. If you still find some are not displaying, open them in Photoshop or other photo-editing software, and make sure they're saved as jpegs in 'baseline standard' format, not 'baseline optmized' or 'progressive'. Try that first, and then if it still doesn't work, come back and yell :)

Gav - hi, yes I've had the same thing happen. Have you got WMP set up to add missing information or anything? I had to disable all intervention by WMP because it kept changing my covers in the night... :blink:

Try mp3 tag to see if it shows the same cover for the 'Greatest Hits' albums, and if it does, you can change it from there. If you edit the properties in WMP, and right-click on 'advanced tag editor', and then 'pictures'... you can add or remove covers from there too.

Hi Paul, first of all make sure the album art is embedded in your id tags (I use mp3 tag because it's simple). Then sync again once you've made sure they're embedded in the files. You should find they appear on the Sony once you've done that. If you still find some are not displaying, open them in Photoshop or other photo-editing software, and make sure they're saved as jpegs in 'baseline standard' format, not 'baseline optmized' or 'progressive'. Try that first, and then if it still doesn't work, come back and yell :)

Hi Juli,

Thanks for taking the time to reply so promptly. Using WMP11 and 'advanced tag editor' there are no pictures listed, even though WMP11 displays a thumbnail on the track listing ! Do you know where WMP11 stores the thumbnails it uses to display - cannot find them on my machine but presume they're there somewhere? Once I find those, I presume I can add to the advanced tag and problem hopefully sorted?

thanks again,

Paul

Hi Juli,

Thanks for taking the time to reply so promptly. Using WMP11 and 'advanced tag editor' there are no pictures listed, even though WMP11 displays a thumbnail on the track listing ! Do you know where WMP11 stores the thumbnails it uses to display - cannot find them on my machine but presume they're there somewhere? Once I find those, I presume I can add to the advanced tag and problem hopefully sorted?

thanks again,

Paul

don't worry - have changed the folder options in WE and it's now displaying - will add now and try again. Thanks for your help

cheers,

P

Hi Juli,

thanks again,

Paul

Hey Paul, let us know if the album art eventually displays on the Sony. If you highlight ALL the tracks in one album, and then right-click to select Advanced Tag Editor, you should be able to add a cover to the whole album. I normally use that method if 'paste album art' doesn't work for all the tracks.

You can get a closer look here:

http://www.t3.com/reviews/ipod-and-mp3-pla...es-oled-walkman

Not sure about the screen outside though.

Hello from Germany :-)

I'm the new guy ;-)

I'm a big fan of the Sony Walkman series and can't wait until I can buy the Sony X with 32GB here in Germany.

I'm currently unhappy with my Sony NWZ-S638 because of its display: When I'm outside I have a black mirror and can't see anything on the walkman! That's pure crap! My old and lovely Vaio pocket is readable outside very well!

The iPod touch display performs very well outside even in direct sunlight.

How about Sonys new flagship? Can I see anything on the display when I'm outside in sunlight etc.?

If not this will be an absolute NO GO from Sony.

Hope you can answer this question.

Thank you!

Gav - hi, yes I've had the same thing happen. Have you got WMP set up to add missing information or anything? I had to disable all intervention by WMP because it kept changing my covers in the night... :blink:

Try mp3 tag to see if it shows the same cover for the 'Greatest Hits' albums, and if it does, you can change it from there. If you edit the properties in WMP, and right-click on 'advanced tag editor', and then 'pictures'... you can add or remove covers from there too.

Juli,

Greatest Hits cover art problem is only on the Sony it is fine in WMP.

I have investigated further. It seems to always display the cover art from the first "Greatest Hits" album regardless of what is in the actual files. This is even incorrect when displaying all albums by an artist, however as soon as you play a track then the correct art is displayed - so it must be correct in the file.

Example (excuse taste in music)

I have two "Greatest Hits" albums one by Atomic Kitten and one by Blondie.

I select by Artist - Blondie and it shows the "Greatest Hits" album with the Atomic Kitten album art

When I play a track from the album it displays the correct Blondie cover art

I guess the only solution is to rename the albums "Greatest Hits - Atomic Kitten" and "Greatest Hits - Blondie"

By the way handy tip if the cover art is displayed in WMP but is not showing on the player, this is because WMP stores cover art as jpg files in the album folders, you can easily correct this by...

Right Click a track and select "Open File Location" then drag the folder.jpg file onto the album art displayed in media player this imbedds into the actual music files.

Gav, so you mean the front album cover, the one that shows in the main list on the Sony - shows the wrong album art, but then once you select a track from it, it's okay? I had a few of those which I had to correct using mp3 tag.

Nice tip about the picture dragging. So much to learn with this new player, I didn't have so many album art issues with my other Sony daps!

Gav, so you mean the front album cover, the one that shows in the main list on the Sony - shows the wrong album art, but then once you select a track from it, it's okay? I had a few of those which I had to correct using mp3 tag.

Nice tip about the picture dragging. So much to learn with this new player, I didn't have so many album art issues with my other Sony daps!

Juli - Yes thats the problem - I mean exactly as you say - how did you correct it with mp3 tag???

Juli - Yes thats the problem - I mean exactly as you say - how did you correct it with mp3 tag???

I selected all the tracks, then 'extended tags', deleted the existing album art, clicked 'ok' - and then added the 'new' album art. That fixed it for me, it was as if one of the covers was being overridden by WMP tags, so I had to delete all the existing art associated with the album before adding the fresh one.

Hey Paul, let us know if the album art eventually displays on the Sony. If you highlight ALL the tracks in one album, and then right-click to select Advanced Tag Editor, you should be able to add a cover to the whole album. I normally use that method if 'paste album art' doesn't work for all the tracks.

spent a few hours re-doing the tags and re-syncro - all sorted now though. Thanks for the advice and help - what with the crappy web browser and no album art, I was getting ready to send the thing back !

spent a few hours re-doing the tags and re-syncro - all sorted now though. Thanks for the advice and help - what with the crappy web browser and no album art, I was getting ready to send the thing back !

It really is a crappy browser, but I'd love to think Sony might upgrade it in the future. Maybe if there are enough complaints, they might?? Anyway, glad you got your album art sorted out. That beautiful screen needs album art :)

Has anyone got any news of when there will be accessories avalible? In need of a screen protector and a good case would be fantastic. Any recommendations of which attachable speakers, to get a bluetooth adapters, would be really useful...

I know but just do love my gadgets :rolleyes:

Thats what i meant, but on other forums people mentioned this wasnt available, a quick read of the manual proved otherwise.

Pitty their older players offer easier navigation, maybe im just not into this whole touchscreen scene.

Hello, first time poster but was on Atraclife for a while and got a lot of help with my pocket vaio so now onto the x1060, quick question. How do you get the coverflow shown on the adverts (do you know which one i mean?). At the mo' i can get lots of small thumbnails filling the screen or thumbnails with info but cannot get the option for anything else. Anyone? Thanks

I may be getting confused but I think you just need to go in and play a song, as it is playing touch the album cover and go down or up the screen this will start the album covers spinning through vertically. Hope this helps.

Nice one!! Works exactly like that.

Has anyone else noticed some buttons need tapping a couple of times even though they flash as if they have registered the first tap, perhaps the engine is just slow.

Not having much luck with getting video on mine. It STILL says the following message.

"Software upgrade required To download BBC iPlayer programmes please upgrade your version of Windows Media Player. Click here to get the latest version from Microsoft."

I have wmp11 installed from both the CD that came with it and from Microsoft web page.

So gave up on that idea and decided to load a DVD concert that i have. Used Nero recode to convert the DVD to mpeg2 (no option for mpeg4). That worked OK and was able to watch it in wmp, so added it to sync list but came up with error message saying " This file is missing media usage rights".

Is this because it's copyrighted or something. If so, what exactly can I load onto it video wise 'cause at the moment that facility is pretty darn useless

ANY ideas will be very welcome

Has anyone got any news of when there will be accessories avalible? In need of a screen protector and a good case would be fantastic. Any recommendations of which attachable speakers, to get a bluetooth adapters, would be really useful...

I know but just do love my gadgets :rolleyes:

Going by what I

I may have mentioned I was having issues wth my vista compatability a few pages back. Having got very annoyed and after lots of stamping, I have finally upgraded to Windows 7 and all my connection problems have stop, it is very slightly slow when transfering a lot of information but it so much smoother than it was previously on my version of vista and it is not crashing... Hooray....

I may have mentioned I was having issues wth my vista compatability a few pages back. Having got very annoyed and after lots of stamping, I have finally upgraded to Windows 7 and all my connection problems have stop, it is very slightly slow when transfering a lot of information but it so much smoother than it was previously on my version of vista and it is not crashing... Hooray....

Off topic; do you have any other issues with "7" kiitykat81? I was considering giving it a go but I have a lot of purchased software that may not work after the upgrade. And rolling back is a pain.

You know whats funny, a bit of topic

When Sony released the A808, the first of the new UI and it was a great player but still required SonicStage, i think it sold wel. But three months later they released the A818 and the only thing different was that you could use WMP and MTP mode.

Do you think sony gave firmware upgrades to the 808 owners, no. Even if sony could, its not in their policy, new product before new firmware is there philosophy

You know whats funny, a bit of topic

When Sony released the A808, the first of the new UI and it was a great player but still required SonicStage, i think it sold wel. But three months later they released the A818 and the only thing different was that you could use WMP and MTP mode.

Do you think sony gave firmware upgrades to the 808 owners, no. Even if sony could, its not in their policy, new product before new firmware is there philosophy

I still live in hope that they will change their attitude to firmware... :)

Off topic; do you have any other issues with "7" kiitykat81? I was considering giving it a go but I have a lot of purchased software that may not work after the upgrade. And rolling back is a pain.

I have not had any problems yet but to be honest I have hardly played around with to much.. My internet is working great and I like the new layout quite a lot. Pleased at the moment but would like to say again I really haven't tested it at all..