enduromon

Question

• Answers 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Hi all. Thanks Ascariss ( and Juli) for the link to the review. I'm loving "journal du geek"!!!!!!

The pictures ( and so many ) look excellent. The size/form factor looks just about perfect to me. Slightly smaller than the iTouch - but I think having real buttons as well is a great idea. Would hope that on the video side it will play more formats ( like avi and hopefully flash ) natively - the comment regarding re-encoding worries me - but then says maybe just this prototype??

380 euros for 32gb was about what I was expecting - for "Joe Public" I'd expect Sony to be pitching the X1000 at the iTouch pricepoint ( or slightly under?) - but for us Sony addicts ( and given that this looks like it could be the best ever!!!) they can price it almost as high as they like - I'm definitely going to have one!!! (Did I just really say that???? "Hi Sony - here's my credit card - take as much as you like"!!!!!!)

Regards.

Shirley, the size is just perfect. Ascariss estimated the size a while ago, and it was almost exactly the same as the 'real' thing. It's about the same size as the A829, which is perfect. It's quite a bit smaller than the iPoop, which is too big to fit in any of my carry cases, but the A829 slots into all of them. And if you look at your 829, imagine a screen that extends almost all the way down, add a final shaking of dandruff - and there's the ZX! As for the video re-encoding, I bought software for that when I bought the Zune and re-encoded everything, so my videos are ready to move across in about 32 days!! That's not the point though, the Sony should play regular formats natively without the need to buy extra software for it.

So you're definitely going to get it?? I'm going to stalk Sony today and see if I can get anything definitive out of them. That should be a laugh!

dura - your estimate was very close, if it really does start off at 380 Euros - but I still think that's really expensive. Not that it matters, since I'm getting it anyway, but I'd cry much less if it was under the £300 mark.

Well, I got the money; right now I've some silver ls-cables in review for about the same price, and I just decided they were not my cup of tea.

Using my feminine logic-side, that means I can now have one for free! :D

Yes of course! Just last week I didn't spend £1200 on a new settee - therefore I've saved £1200. If I buy a ZX, not only is it free, but I'm £900 better off after the purchase. Logic is a wonderful thing, and female logic makes absolute sense :lol:

Hey everyone some info from the FCC, it appeared a few days

some prelim info, date availability for the external photos, manual and internal photos is march 22nd (sunday) which is technically is spring.

dimensions

Width - 52 mm

Depth - 96.5 mm

Height - 9.8 mm

It is made in malaysia like the current mp3 players

date of tests were from oct 30th to nov 4th

Power is 3.7V - 600mAh

WLAN is 802.11b/g

b - 1.0Mbps

g - 6.0Mbps

4 models

16Gb

NWZ-X1050

NWZ-X1051

32Gb

NWZ-X1060

NWZ-X1061

comes with MDR-NC020 headphones and a 1.5m extension cable

WOW!!! Thanks Ascariss. I love these titbits, they're the only thing that keeps me going while I'm waiting!!

So is this: Power is 3.7V - 600mAh... related to the power it outputs? Is it something to do with the battery? I think my 808/829 is rated at 500mAh, but isn't that just to do with battery power? And the headphones, MDR-NC020, I don't think I've heard of them, only the NC22. I have to go do some poking around now...

Oh, and I'm going to pretend I didn't see the March 22nd date - ignorance is bliss!!!

EDIT: Will the headphones be like these ones?? http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...dphones+(Black) - but without the noise-cancelling switch?

And another thing, I know it must have been discussed before, but I must have missed/forgotten it. A big thing's being made of the noise-cancelling features, but isn't this the same technology that was built into the NW-S70x series a couple of years ago? And the noise cancelling doesn't work unless you use the supplied headphones, is that right?? If that's the case, it's not really 'new' then.

Also, I called Sony UK to try and get a more accurate release date, and after cycling through 77 options - :blink: - an actual human picked up and said I was through to the wrong department, and proceeded to give me the 'correct' number.

So I called that number, and after cycling through another 77 options... guess where I ended up??? Yes - back at the original department... where they told me to ring a different number (the same as the one they gave me before)... nice to see their 'help desk' still doesn't help. I'd hate for Sony to break the habits of a lifetime :lol:

Hi Juli,

So is this: Power is 3.7V - 600mAh... related to the power it outputs? Is it something to do with the battery? I think my 808/829 is rated at 500mAh, but isn't that just to do with battery power?.

That is indeed battery capacity; it is good that the capacity is 20% higher then your other players; hopefully batterylife will be very good; though I do not know how puch power the old/new amp and the touchscreen needs.

4 models

16Gb

NWZ-X1050

NWZ-X1051

32Gb

NWZ-X1060

NWZ-X1061

Does anyone knows what is the difference between the xxx0 and the xxx1? Noise cancelling, bluetooth? Anyway, I need neither.

A little bit worrying is the 'from €380,-' indicating that the 32 GB will be even more expensive.

I just pre-ordered mine from Amazon UK for �283!!!

No availability date as yet, but at least it's ordered. Plus it comes in at under �300 which is what I was hoping for!

dura, I read on the Sony Australia site that the ZX should have at least 30 hours battery life. The iPoop Touch claims to have 36 hours, which might be true if the brightness is set to minimum, wi-fi is switched off, and you don't 'Touch the Touch'... so I assume the Sony will have at least as good a battery life, especially since the OLED screen is less power-hungry than the Touch.

Delivery estimate: We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will ship separately.

You can cancel at any time. 1 "Sony Walkman NWZX1060B X Series with 32GB"

Electronics; �283.00

Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

Hmmm - what are these strange question-mark symbols that appear instead of the 'pound' sign... :huh:

Good! Congratulations, hope you'll get it quickly and I also hope you were the first one..

Me too!! It was really hard to find on the Amazon site, hidden away out of sight.

And there's not a scrap of information about it, so it's a good thing we have this place for info!

I called Amazon to find out if they knew when it would be in stock, and was told that as the 'date available' shows 5th February (which is just the date they listed it, and not when it was available!!) - it should be in within the next few weeks, so middle of March hopefully?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?u...amp;x=0&y=0

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Still wonder about that xxx0 vs xxx1 thing, maybe the wifi?

Hmmmm, that's a good point. I just Googled the xxx1 model but it just brings up the same specs as for the xxx0.

But there must be a reason for the different model numbers. If one had no wi-fi access, I'd expect it to be a LOT cheaper than the other model. Maybe one doesn't have Bluetooth? I don't care about that anyway, but Amazon is only selling the xxx0 model. I'll have to do some poking around tomorrow, I want to know what the difference is too!

as far as I know, diff btwn xxx1 and xxx0 is that one is for Canada and another is for US..

Hello :) That's very good thinking!! I couldn't find anything about it at all. Okay, so if we assume the number at the end is related to country, then the xxx0 model must be for UK/Europe (since only the xxx0 model was available to pre-order here.) The xxx1 must be for the US or Canada? Could it cover both countries? Of course, we wouldn't be having this discussion if Sony spilled a few beans!!! We always have to geuss everything.

It might have something to do with fact that in the states the amazon store will be available for songs whereas that might not be the case in canada and the UK so the '0' model is the no-amazon-store model, and the '1' model is the amazon-store one.

Ascariss, that may be exactly what it means! But I'd be surprised if Amazon UK isn't available for songs. I know when I had the Zune 80, I couldn't use the Zune Marketplace (which I didn't care about anyway), but that's because the Zune wasn't released for the UK, whereas the Sony is... hmmm, more confusion :blink:

Anthony, those Sony photos aren't as good as the ones you found in 'Stuff'! :lol:

And there's still no mention of whether the screen is plastic or glass. My iPoop screen is glass, but after a while, the screen gets harder to 'swipe' because it retains any natural oils from your fingertips. So I bought an Apple anti-glare protector which never smudges, and is much easier to swipe. I have a spare protector which I can cut down to fit if I need to, but I'd still like to know in advance what the screen's made of.

Ridiculous they're not for pre-sale here; The Uk is not closer to Japan or wherever then the Netherlands are; oh well, bought myself a 24"inch 1900x1200 monitor; UT III looks great!

I agree that must be it, Ascariss; I was hoping for a less complicated DAP focussing on musicplaying only (without expensive tricks I do not need, like NC and wifi), but this sounds more probable.

Oh well, if sound quality really is as good as expected and better then the current Sony's I'll buy it anyway; otherwise I might go for the 16GB 639; I do not really need more memory at the 320 kbs max.

Oh well, if sound quality really is as good as expected and better then the current Sony's I'll buy it anyway; otherwise I might go for the 16GB 639; I do not really need more memory at the 320 kbs max.

Dura, How does this high bitrate (320 kbs) affect quoted battery life? I was considering ginving it a try, I traditionally use 192kb MP3.

Haven't tried it Anthony, I'm still on 256kbs ATRAC atm.

However, I doubt if it's gonna be a large hit on the battery; with HD-layers, it is quite simple, they have an electronic memory that has to be filled from the HD and accessing the HD takes a lot of power and the higher the bitrate, the more often this reading had to happen. With flashplayers it is the screen, the processor the amp and perhaps reading the memory that take the power; only the last point gives any argument why power usage would be higher; use of codec, volume and screen seem more relevant factors to me. But perhaps I'm wrong, I'm no electrotechnical engineer.

Hey guys.. have been following the thread for a couple days now and you guys have really excited me about this Walkman. I have been waiting for a 32GB Walkman since late 2007 when I replaced my HD5 with an ipod classic. Wish I never had, it's been nothing but trouble. Anyway, I hope you don't mind me joining the waiting game :)

Hey guys.. have been following the thread for a couple days now and you guys have really excited me about this Walkman. I have been waiting for a 32GB Walkman since late 2007 when I replaced my HD5 with an ipod classic. Wish I never had, it's been nothing but trouble.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me joining the waiting game :)

Hello kafkef, and and a big BIG welcome to the waiting game, the more the merrier :)

So are you going to keep the iPod as a second dap, or will the 32GB be enough for you on the Sony? I worked out it will be plenty for me, because I have 22GB of audio on the Touch (at 320kbps and above) and 8GB of movies/audiobooks, so I'm going to sell the 32GB model, and get an 8GB Touch, and keep the Sony 32GB just for music. I can't wait, I just can't!!

Hello kafkef, and and a big BIG welcome to the waiting game, the more the merrier :)

So are you going to keep the iPod as a second dap, or will the 32GB be enough for you on the Sony? I worked out it will be plenty for me, because I have 22GB of audio on the Touch (at 320kbps and above) and 8GB of movies/audiobooks, so I'm going to sell the 32GB model, and get an 8GB Touch, and keep the Sony 32GB just for music. I can't wait, I just can't!!

I'm planning on using the ipod as a portable hdd as I don't really need that much space for music. I have about as much music as you do (~22GB) in mp3 so 32GB should be more than enough for a while. I'm worried about unicode support in the Walkman though. I believe the current Walkmans don't support letters such as ş ı ç ğ which kinda sucks for me.

well the fcc documents appearo on the 2nd, so either you will get it shipped before that weekend,

or the monday following the 22nd,

or that 22nd date is only a date for the US and has no bearing on the european launch.

In any case, hopefully it gets sent out sooner rather than later.

Ascariss, I'm guessing it won't get shipped before 2nd March, not if the Amazon expected delivery estimate is accurate... so it looks like it will be later rather than sooner. I thought the US launch was in the summer, has it been brought forward? And what about Canada? Any firmer dates yet?

woops I meant 22nd, :P which I even wrote twice after that,

US release says early summer, whatever that means, canadian release is slated still for "may" of this year, I will email the contact email for clarification. I will be in europe from early may to late june and if I can pick it up for less than 446 canadian (this includes taxes) in europe, then I will be tempted to get it in europe, unless sony canada moves the date forward.

but then the P series was meant to appear on the sony site in late january and actually went on physical sale around a week ago almost, so I don't trust the press release.

woops I meant 22nd, :P which I even wrote twice after that,

:( :( :( :( :( :(

but then the P series was meant to appear on the sony site in late january and actually went on physical sale around a week ago almost,

so I don't trust the press release.

Do you mean it was supposed to be available for pre-order in late January, and was released earlier than expected???

The VAIO P Series Pocket Style PC will retail for about $1,000. It will be available for pre-orders later this month online at www.sonystyle.ca. It will also be sold at Sony Style® stores starting later this month.

from the press release, so it never appeared on the site until I believe either last 2 days in january or even in february and pre-order was for feb 13, but they appeared for sale on feb 10-11.

so I doubt it will appear for sale even before may here in canada, with actual sale middle of may at best, thing is, unlike the US and england, sony canada has a firm grip on most of its products and they first appear on sonystyle rather than other stores or websites, and even then, some products are sonystyle only. :/

Hi all

Four days without any posts in this forum?? Better type something!!!

The wait is killing me - and I'm especially worried that your " countdown days" Juli turns into weeks or even months??? Sony have done this before - I seem to remember one of the portable minidisc recorders being talked about pre Xmas one year - supposed to be released Jan/Feb - then was put back etc etc - and I eventually found one in London about June time!!!

Quick question - I suppose the X1000 has the "normal" walkman port - so all our cables from 800/810/820/630 etc series will fit and work fully?? But I guess we will also be able to transfer content via wifi ( and bluetooth?? ) - charge via usb through the walkman port/dock?

Speaking of things "dock" - I sometimes use my HD1 and HD5 ( and minidiscs) with line-out switched in - into various headphone amps. The 800/820/630's never had line-out options available? I'm guessing that x1000 wont either. I think it's a shame.

Anyway - regards to all. On with the waiting!!

Hi Shirley, I really REALLY hope that we can still use our previous cables/docks etc. In fact, I just assumed we'd be able to, maybe someone else can clarify that for us please??? And about the release date, well, Amazon.co.uk have updated the page to say 'Dispatched within 2 to 5 weeks', so I'm pretty hopeful it will be out no later than March 24th:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001RTS5UK

You have to laugh, Amazon have put up a photo of the ZX... go have a look :)

yeah ,if they again use another proprietary cable then it becomes really hard to keep track of previous cables we have with other Walkman .

@Amazon -> OMG! dock worth 283 pound lol :lol: :lol: