Question about the discs

Rate this topic

allegate

So I was thinking about the discs and got to wondering. As they are kind of similar to a HDD platter, do they need to be defragged? With the data being taken off and put back on and moved around it appears to me that they might need to be defragged every now and then. Do they?

I think it is more along the lines of a cd-r than it is a hard disk drive. HDD are consistantly reading and writing (while doing multiple operations) while the MD has read phases OR write phases (single task only). I just received my md player yesterday, so I can't really vouch for this being true, but I'd think it would reorganize the files if anything is deleted assuming it was physically "cleaned" off the disc... If it's deleted like a hard drive (basically removed from the table of contents until it's over written), then we'd need a defrag. I mean, how often do you actually add/remove files ? =P Just buy another disc =]

I think I remember reading somewhere awhile ago that the only time fragmentation on the discs would become an issue (keep in mind this was done on purpose for testing, and was with the standard MD) was if the recorder had to read 2-second bits of audio that were sequentially read alternating from the beginning of the disc to the end of the disc.

If that makes sense.

I asked a question awhile ago regarding fragmentation and TOC-Cloning. I could see fragmentation being an issue while trying to retreive audio from a disc by employing a TOC-Cloning technique...

EDIT: When a track is erased on an MD it is in fact just taken from the TOC. That is the basis for TOC-Cloning to retreive audio data you've just inadvertantly erased. Assuming you haven't recorded anything since then... :)

the reference in the FAQ regarding fragmentation...

http://www.minidisc.org/faq_sec_3.html#_q15

Edited by raintheory