Using a minidisc player as an external DAC

Rate this topic

Hi all, I'm new here, and I don't know if this topic has already been covered. If it has, I apologize and request that someone sends a link to the existing info.

Briefly, I need to connect a TV that *only* has a Toslink audio out to a receiver that *only* has RCA audio inputs. It seems that commercial Digital to analog converters are very expensive, and replacing my not very old stereo receiver with a new x.1 receiver that has optical inputs would be a waste, especially as I choose not to use anything other than stereo.

I have a spare Sony MZ-N505 which I no longer use, and wondered whether, with a Toslink to Sony optical cable, and with a mini-plug to RCA cable, I could use the Sony MD as an external DAC?

Clearly, it would have to be powered, but does anyone know of any other issues that there might be?

In advance,I appreciate any help with this.

Briefly, I need to connect a TV that *only* has a Toslink audio out to a receiver that *only* has RCA audio inputs.

What kind of TV is this? I've never seen a TV with digital audio outputs on it before.

Aside from which .. TV audio from digital recievers can be in multiple formats, including MP2, AC3 [dolby digital], and PCM [which is the only format your MD can understand].

What kind of TV is this? I've never seen a TV with digital audio outputs on it before.

Aside from which .. TV audio from digital recievers can be in multiple formats, including MP2, AC3 [dolby digital], and PCM [which is the only format your MD can understand].

It's an LG 26LX1D 26" HD unit, and as mentioned before, it *only* has optical audio out. The encoding protocol isn't specified, the manual simply says to connect it to an optical input on 'the audio equipment'.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow-up, and to provide info for others following in my footsteps: It doesn't work.

The TOSLink to minijack cable arrived today. All I got out of it were regular clicking noises. I presume that the encoded output from the TV is not in a format that the MD player recognizes.

Better luck next time, eh?

As a follow-up, and to provide info for others following in my footsteps: It doesn't work.

The TOSLink to minijack cable arrived today. All I got out of it were regular clicking noises. I presume that the encoded output from the TV is not in a format that the MD player recognizes.

Better luck next time, eh?

Hello,

Possibly, your TV has some setting options for the digital output signal within it's on-screen menus, like many DVD-players/recorders do. If so, set it to PCM, 16 bit and 48kHz, which is the only format that MD-units can recognize. Any (default) setting like "Bitstream", "Dolby Digital", "AC3", "DTS" etc. will lead to the symptoms you described and can only be decoded by home-cinema devices.

Cheers - Killroy.