power converter noise

Rate this topic

yoozer

Got an nh700 finally on ebay from digitallimits2003. Definitely appears to be someone who bought up the aussie units.

Problem is that they sent a power converter with it for US line voltage that makes a very loud buzzing noise. This makes recording while on AC (only way I ever do it) completely impossible. Is this an inevitable problem with using the aussie units in USA? Really hope not!

Problem is that they sent a power converter with it for US line voltage that makes a very loud buzzing noise. This makes recording while on AC (only way I ever do it) completely impossible. Is this an inevitable problem with using the aussie units in USA? Really hope not!

If you're recording with a mic which is powered by the unit - this is actually normal and will happen regardless of what AC adapter you use.

Solution: buy good batteries.

[P.S. If you find this offensive, I'll note that film sound recordists generally carry around a cart of equipment that includes not only a heavy-duty AC filter, but also a lead-acid 12V battery and a power inverter for equipment that requires AC power .. When possible, they'll NOT use mains power specifically to avoid all the problems it causes. So, don't be offended by being told that using a <$1 battery is the best option when pros spend thousands on equipment to do exactly the same thing.]

Got an nh700 finally on ebay from digitallimits2003. Definitely appears to be someone who bought up the aussie units.

Yoozer, was it the "Travel Smart (by Franzus) All-In-One Adapter with Surge Protector" that you received with your NH700? A friend of mine bought the NH700 from the same Ebay seller and got the Franzus with it. If you received the same one (model TS-237AP) as he did, then check the back of the box to see if there is a caution stating that it does not convert electrical current. It also says this on their site: franzus adapters.

My friend ended up getting a Radio Shack power adaptor that I use for some of my units.

An alkaline battery will last you well beyond the length of a 1GB disc, so why not use it?

Apparently, rechargeables (Ni-Cd, Ni-MH) do a better job (longer recording times) with MD than alkalines.

They're less susceptible to large current surges during recording.

Also they're reusable ;)