Help with hi-md purchase

Rate this topic

jahlove

Hi there,

I am about to purchase a hi-md recorder to use for recording interviews. I have been convinced by others that minidisc recorders are the way to go for sound quality, but I am thoroughly confused about which hi-md unit is best for my purposes. I cannot figure out if any of these recorders/players include a built-in microphone or if they all now require the addition of an external mic? While an external mic will be useful for me in some situations, I am also interested in portability, as my work will be conducted in multiple locations throughout South America. I was all set to purchase the MZ-RH10 when I suddenly panicked about the mic situation. Can anyone give me some advice about quality recorders that might have an internal microphone (preferably stereo)? Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

Hi there,

I am about to purchase a hi-md recorder to use for recording interviews. I have been convinced by others that minidisc recorders are the way to go for sound quality, but I am thoroughly confused about which hi-md unit is best for my purposes. I cannot figure out if any of these recorders/players include a built-in microphone or if they all now require the addition of an external mic? While an external mic will be useful for me in some situations, I am also interested in portability, as my work will be conducted in multiple locations throughout South America. I was all set to purchase the MZ-RH10 when I suddenly panicked about the mic situation. Can anyone give me some advice about quality recorders that might have an internal microphone (preferably stereo)? Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

Last i checked, the RH10 doesnt have an INTERNAL microphone.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Last i checked, the RH10 doesnt have an INTERNAL microphone.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Very true, no Hi-MD unit does. :blink:

@ jahlove, try the Live Recording Knowledge Center here on MDCF

Edited by Jacques

Here in the US you can go to Sony's website and they have a bundle consisting of a MZ-RH910 a microphone and 5 1GB discs for $299 us

Sony calls it "the musicians package"

here is the URL

the RH910 is basically a RH10 but with no OLED, no remote, 5 line display instead of 6

also i think the lid of the RH10 is metal

i own a 910 and is not a bad unit

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....sicians_package

As nice as Hi-MD is for many applications, I do not use mine for interviews (and I've done hundreds). Instead I've used the B-series ("business" models) with built-in mike(s) and speakers. The current models are the B-100 (stereo mikes, mono speaker) and B-10 (mono mike, two tiny speakers). I've used my two B-100s for phone and field interviews and never lost one. They run on a single AA cell and give long recording times (2 hrs 40 mins) in mono, which is all you need for voice. The automatic level control works fine, and the unit fits in a shirt pocket (if a bit heavily). The only feature I miss is auto track-mark--though there is a quick-search function that lets you pop ahead a minute at a time and a track-mark button right on top where you can get at it easily. Unless you anticpate really long interview sets, or really, really need to dump your interviews into a computer at data rates (which I wouldn't mind doing), a B-series is all you need.