HI-MD and headphone amps

Rate this topic

sebastianbf

Use Ebay and search for "Cmoy," a basic headphone amp design. Search both titles and text within listings. A lot of hobbyists make them.

Look at various listings and compare what features are being offered with them: which opamp chip, how much power (you want at least 9V), volume control, metal box (not plastic). Don't buy the first one you see--look around for a few days to see what's being offered. Look at the seller's feedback, etc.

I have one that a college kid built in an Altoids tin, and it sounds fine. $60.

If you could somewhat stretch your budget, XIN SuperMacro-III ($349.99) and XIN SuperMini-III ($199.99) are good alternatives. I personally employ XIN's SuperMacro-III.

XIN's product page.

Ishi, notice any improvement in the SA5000's with this? I've been thinking of building a M^3 amp.The design seems to have really good performance characteristics. A bunch of head-fi'ers seem to like it in combination with the SA5000's.

I'll second the vote on a CMOY. Jay Polaski from the T-Board made mine and was very inexpensive on the price. I paid $45 IIRC. He will custom make them to your specs too. I have not seen him around as of late but I know he had a web page with his contact info. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it: http://www.freewebtown.com/jaypolaski/cmoy/

Ishi, notice any improvement in the SA5000's with this? I've been thinking of building a M^3 amp.The design seems to have really good performance characteristics. A bunch of head-fi'ers seem to like it in combination with the SA5000's.

I own the SuperMacro-III and I do notice significant improvement when coupled with the EH1+SA5000. The SuperMacro-III drives the SA5000 very well - to perfection if I may say so. However, I have yet to try the M³. From what I have read, this amp will certainly provide excellent synergy for the SA5000. I reckon you can't go wrong with either offering from Xin or Rockhopper.