Hi-MD/external mic/recording mode/uploading files

Rate this topic

asteward27

I am trying to upload (using sonic stage 3.3) several hours of interviews recorded in Hi-MD, Hi-LP mode using an external Sony mic. For some reason, the Hi-MD option does not appear under the import menu (located in the right hand side); the sony tech support told me that I can not upload these directly because I needed to record them in linear PCM mode; however, I do not see this listed as a requirement (or instruction) in the information listed on this forum (the guide to uploading) nor in sony manual that came with the device - MZ NHF800.

Can anybody confirm this for me - before I spend a two weeks re-recording the files using the analong method? I have experimented with several mini discs and connected and unconnected the device, but the import Hi-MD option never showed up in the sonic stage interface.

Hi there - Welcome to the forums!

I'm not quite sure why Sony support would be saying that you cannot upload those, that is ridiculous! The only time you would have to record in PCM to upload is if you are using the Mac-Compatible models MZ-M10 or MZ-M100, the Mac importer for those models will only work with PCM...

Seeing as though you are using the NHF800 though, that is not an issue.

First off I would recommend upgrading to Version 4 of SonicStage. Aside from that, simply select the tracks on your Hi-MD in SonicStage and click the arrow going from your Hi-MD to your PC. That should do it.

EDIT: I think I see where you are getting stuck. You would click on "Transfer" at the top of the screen and not "Import" to upload your Hi-MD recordings. You should see your Hi-MD listed there and that should bring it up so you can transfer the tracks to PC (again by clicking the arrow in the middle after selecting the tracks on your Hi-MD, the arrow that is pointing to the left.)

Hope this helps.

[attachmentid=1776] [attachmentid=1777]

post-1817-1150418971_thumb.jpg

post-1817-1150418977_thumb.jpg

Edited by raintheory

Thanks a lot!

I will try the updated software and see if that does it. The problem was in fact that the Hi-MD option is not displayed under the transfer pull down when I connect the device to the PC (I confused the two in my original post). The options were creating an Audio CD, ATRAC CD and an MP3 CD. The PC did recognize the device so it seems a software problem. Is this a common problem for the earlier versions of software? Can you think of any other reasons this might be happening?

I am trying to upload (using sonic stage 3.3) several hours of interviews recorded in Hi-MD, Hi-LP mode using an external Sony mic. For some reason, the Hi-MD option does not appear under the import menu (located in the right hand side); the sony tech support told me that I can not upload these directly because I needed to record them in linear PCM mode; however, I do not see this listed as a requirement (or instruction) in the information listed on this forum (the guide to uploading) nor in sony manual that came with the device - MZ NHF800.

Can anybody confirm this for me - before I spend a two weeks re-recording the files using the analong method? I have experimented with several mini discs and connected and unconnected the device, but the import Hi-MD option never showed up in the sonic stage interface.

Rule #1 - Never bother calling Sony support, they are worthless. SONY - if any of your Product Managers ever read this forum, which I'm told they do - YOUR CUSTOMER SUPPORT DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO SUPPORT MINIDISCS, or any ATRAC device for that matter.

1) Run SonicStage

2) select "Transfer" (if you have to to see the contents of the MD)

3) Select the track(s) you wish to transfer

4) Click the Orange arrow pointing to the Left (Transfer to My Library)

5) That's it.

If you like - you can have it import the file as a .wav - click on the little suitcase icon, then "Advanced"

If the issue of your Hi-MD not being recognized continues after upgrading to Version 4, try downloading and installing the "Sony Personal Audio Driver" from the downloads section here in the forums.

The link to the installer for SonicStage CP (Version 4) is around here in the forums somewhere, do a quick search and it should come up. Installing that very well might solve the issue. It certainly sounds to me like some kind of driver problem.

One other thing you may want to try is to plug into a different USB port.

EDIT: Here is the thread with SonicStage CP (V4) download links - http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=9586

Edited by raintheory