MZ-B10 vs MZ-B100

Rate this topic

viiv

Ok, I've decided I bneed to have a unit with a built in speaker and mic. Now after some research I came across three models from Sony that have this. One is a clearly obsolete model without MDLP. However there are two, both still avvailble bnew on eBay that I need to figur out whoich is better. The MZ-B100 is more expensive but the MZ-B10 is newr. But which is better. Thanks,

Hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Sony minidisc recorders MZ-B100 and B10 comparison

* Date: Fri, 7 May 08:42:58 -0700

In summary, we think the MZ-B100 remains more accessible overall. Although basic operation of the MZ-B10 uses tactile controls, more advanced features are turned on and off through display menus. These menus are fairly predictable and usable and thoroughly covered in IRTI's instructions. Nonetheless, the MZ-B10 has some features, like compressed speech playback, and lower price which will make it very attractive to some users. Here are some details.

Features common to both models

. Very tactile control buttons

. Record feature is both tactile and audible when engaged and stopped

. Separate tactile controls for the following: Play, Pause, STop, Cue Forward, Review Rewind, Track Mark set and Erase, Volume thumbwheel, Record Mode set, Erase Track and Erase Disc

. Built-in mono speaker

. Stereo headphone jack, external stereo mic jack, combo jack for stereo analog line in or digital optical line in

. Stereo recording and playback

. Only has automatic level control for recording

. Optional AC adapter available

Advantages and comments on the MZ-B100

. Built-in stereo mics which permit better spacial recording and allow easier determination of which record mode is in effect

. Special Track Mark feature acts similarly to an index tone on audio tape for marking locations during recording

. Additional tactile controls for: Synchronized Recording on/off, High/Low Mic Sensitivity, Sound equilization preset settings, Voice Operated Recording on/off, Play Mode of single track or repeat all tracks

. Analog variable speed playback control range of -20% to +10%

. Includes teathered remote control

. Includes completely non-speaking clock and alarm

Advantages and comments on the MZ-B10

. Slightly smaller in size and weight

. Much longer battery life since it uses 2 AA batteries instead of 1

. Has variable speed playback with digital pitch control for range of -50% to +100%

. Has an auto track mark feature on or off which marks long recordings every 10 minutes. Must be set through display menus.

. Has a Quick Power Up feature which keeps the recorder from powering down every 30 seconds when not in use on battery power. Feature is set through display menus

. Has built-in mono mic which works very well

. Setting Record Mode audibly is less convenient since an external stereo mic needs to be used

. The following features are set through display menus: High/Low Mic Sensitivity, Synchronized Recording on/off, Sound equilization preset settings, Play Modes of single track or all disc with repeat on or off.

Edit: If you haven't already done so, I'd also check out the MDCF Equipment Browser for other reviews.

http://www.minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html

Edited by jaylen