auto "TIME MARK" setting is erratic... ["brand new" MZ-M100]

Rate this topic

Hello All - would like to have opinions on whether to send this unit back?

Never, ever had this problem with my RH10!

Just recorded a live vocal recital last night... all my settings on the new M100 are identical to the settings I've always used on my RH10 for the last year and a half, including time mark on and set to 4:00. MD unit in my jacket pocket as always, pen mike placement, battery fully charged, disc formatted, etc., etc...

Instead of having 20 or so tracks in the group of 4:00 each, with a total of roughly 80 minutes of recorded music, I have 43 tracks: several are 4:00, one is 1:52, but most are 2-6 seconds each (for a total of only roughly 20 minutes of recording!) This shows up on the display as well as in SS 3.4

The thing is, when the music moves from a shorter track to the next track, it is AS IF THE ENTIRE 4:00 OF PREVIOUS MUSIC had been recorded. i.e. each track starts, not with continuity of music from the previous track, but at the point as if the previous track of, say 2 seconds, had been the full 4:00 of time.

Sadly, it seems that I lost a lot of music from this unique musical event. :(

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you A440 & greenmachine for the quick responses!

Are you using mic-in or line-in?

This was using a pen mic, the same I've used with my RH10 without fail.

Like a lover that cheats on you, I guess I can't really trust this unit again (though just doing random recording around the home now, I can't duplicate this aberrant behavior.) I think it will be going back anyway.

With Mic-In you shouldn't get any auto track marks except the ones you wanted at 4:00.

One other question--could there have been something in your pocket wedged up against the Pause button? So that perhaps you were accidentally Pausing and un-Pausing it during the recording ?

Edited by A440