Got my Rh10 back from Sony repair...they charged me more than three times the quote

Rate this topic

taper420

So my parts were still under warrenty but not the labor, so I filed a claim on their website and they quoted me a price of under 30 bucks and told me it was eligible for an exchange program. So I sent it in with a note with my credit card info and said I authorize a charge of no more than 30 dollars to my card. I get it back a week later and it's my unit ( i checked the serial number) and it had been repaired at a cost of 99 bucks an change for what I assume was the labor.

So should I put a stop on the charge? I'm sure they have some kind of loop hole here to say that 30 bucks was just an estimate.....but why say it's gonna get exchanged and then repair it? I feel mislead and would have seriously questioned spending 100 bucks on the repair. They should have called me to authorize the repair.

Edited by taper420

So my parts were still under warrenty but not the labor, so I filed a claim on their website and they quoted me a price of under 30 bucks and told me it was eligible for an exchange program. So I sent it in with a note with my credit card info and said I authorize a charge of no more than 30 dollars to my card. I get it back a week later and it's my unit ( i checked the serial number) and it had been repaired at a cost of 99 bucks an change for what I assume was the labor.

So should I put a stop on the charge? I'm sure they have some kind of loop hole here to say that 30 bucks was just an estimate.....but why say it's gonna get exchanged and then repair it? I feel mislead and would have seriously questioned spending 100 bucks on the repair. They should have called me to authorize the repair.

gotta love sony, though i doubt u can stop the charge cuz the work was already done. but u r correct they shouldve asked u for the repair first....

the repair cost was $99 including that $30? what was wrong with the unit?

u can try and put a stop to the charge........

I would definitely call Sony first to see if they will voluntarily refund/credit your card for the $70 you did not authorize. If they do not, then contact your credit card company to dispute the charge. Don't dawdle, though...you probably have a limited amount of time after you received your last statement with the unauthorized charge, to dispute the charge.

I would definitely call Sony first to see if they will voluntarily refund/credit your card for the $70 you did not authorize. If they do not, then contact your credit card company to dispute the charge. Don't dawdle, though...you probably have a limited amount of time after you received your last statement with the unauthorized charge, to dispute the charge.

Right on, smkranz. The credit card company will probably tell you to try settling with Sony first anyway - at least that's what my Visa told me to do when Bloomingdale's charged me extra for a wedding gift "because the price changed at the exact second Submit Order was clicked." Visa ended up handling things in the end though and I received a refund. Time is really important especially since the charge seems to be mainly labor, something that you cannot physically return. Good luck.