Recording Live Training Workshops

Rate this topic

dadjanda

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to the Minidisc world and I'm looking for some advice.

I am a hypnosis and Personal development trainer and i'm wanting to start recording my events and offering them as home study courses. This means I'm looking for something simple yet high quality with ideally a small clip on mic or something with a good range (i tend to wander around when i train!).

Could anyone advise on a set up of Minidisc with decent battery life and good quality mic that together would retail for about £100 ($200)? if I'm living in a wee dream world thinking I can get something for that price then let me know what i should be buying. I'm sure the wife will agree to the extra spending!

I've been having a look at ebay to see if I can pick up a bargain but sometimes what looks like a bargain isn't, you know?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

Brian

Brian -

Part of the beauty of the MD is that it is so small you can carry the recorder easily and feed it from a pair of tiny lavalier mics pinned to your lapel. Some of the more experienced folks can point you to the right mics for the deal. Look deeply into my eyes . . . B)

You'll be using your recordings in producing a professional end-product (I'm guessing you want to make CD's out of them), so I advise to get a HiMD recorder. This way you can upload your recordings directly to a PC over a USB connection, where you can do any necessary editing and cutting. This is not possible with the older NetMD or regular MD recorders.

The MZ-RH1 has received many positive reviews and appears to be the ultimate portable MD recorder. (I say 'appears' because I don't own one myself, but I trust the opinions of most people who have lauded it.) It's price tag places it outside your budget, unfortunately.

A very good, and cheaper, alternative would be the MZ-NH700. This will record in the same quality as the RH1, and uses a common AA battery. It may be a bit harder to locate a new one, however, because it is an older model (2004).

I can't give you any advice on mic's, but there have been a lot of discussions on them, so I suggest to search through this forum a bit.