Mac 10.4.10 moutning issue

Rate this topic

madmacmike

Ok wondering if anyone has had this issue and a fix for it?

Brand new RH-1 (replaced an N707). Installed software on WinXP machine, then downloaded updates from sony,works no problem, uploaded old MD recordings, transfer ect works great, same in data mode.

Problem with Macintosh OS 10.4.10. Downloaded Hi-MD 2.0 software, installed fine,Hi-MD monitor is running and transfer software opens fine. Connected rh-1, Mac says the disk is unusable, and presents the options, initialize, ignore or eject. (standard mac dialog box). And transfer software says device/media not present.

According to system profiler RH-1 is connected to USB. Disk utility reports that the volume in the RH-1 is a FAT16 disk and reports the correct size for the disk in the machine, (tried 80mn and 1GB, Both formated in Hi-MD through SS on windows, also tried the 1gb disk before reformating it in SS) Unit is in Hi-MD mode. But disk utility says it is not mounted and pressing the mount button in disk util does nothing.

Was looking forward to using the data function between home and work computers.

iBook G4 1.3Ghz, 512 Ram, OS 10.4.10

Anyone got any ideas?

Mike

Edited by madmacmike

Ok wondering if anyone has had this issue and a fix for it?

Brand new RH-1 (replaced an N707). Installed software on WinXP machine, then downloaded updates from sony,works no problem, uploaded old MD recordings, transfer ect works great, same in data mode.

Problem with Macintosh OS 10.4.10. Downloaded Hi-MD 2.0 software, installed fine,Hi-MD monitor is running and transfer software opens fine. Connected rh-1, Mac says the disk is unusable, and presents the options, initialize, ignore or eject. (standard mac dialog box). And transfer software says device/media not present.

According to system profiler RH-1 is connected to USB. Disk utility reports that the volume in the RH-1 is a FAT16 disk and reports the correct size for the disk in the machine, (tried 80mn and 1GB, Both formated in Hi-MD through SS on windows, also tried the 1gb disk before reformating it in SS) Unit is in Hi-MD mode. But disk utility says it is not mounted and pressing the mount button in disk util does nothing.

Was looking forward to using the data function between home and work computers.

iBook G4 1.3Ghz, 512 Ram, OS 10.4.10

Anyone got any ideas?

Mike

Fellow Mac guy here , Macbook Pro Core2Duo

MD Transfer is supposed to take over the Mount , in otherwords when MD Transfer has the MD connected you wont see a Mounted disc on the desktop , you sould see the files ith the Transfer window ( when you connect the RH1 to the Mac , first there will be a mounted disc on the desktop , DO NOT KLIK IT ) If MD transfer's Monitor is working right , in a couple of seconds the MD Icon should appear on the destop (Blue MD Transfer icon) you klik that not the disc image

The RH1 doesnt " Mount " per se .... when doing the audio thing , You can drag data files to the disc image and use it for data , but to access the audio it has to go thru MD transfer

One other thing .. I wonder if Windows is putting some kind of header file on the MD when you have it connected to Windows, that would conceivably be a problem .

Format a disc on the RH1 and record something on it from a CD , then connect to the Mac first , see if does the same thing. If it sees the RH1 like it should then your Windows is doing something to the MD

Also you said you formatted thru SS , dont do that , format on the RH1 itself , while NOT connected to the computer

Edited by Guitarfxr

Fellow Mac guy :) ,

I didnt think about windows adding something to the disc, good possibility. I will give it try as you suggest.

I am not getting the md icon on the desktop, mac osx, as soon as the rh1 spins up i get the unrecognizable disk, do you want to initialize? (this was with a fresh blank 1gb disk, not formatted with ss.) dialog box. Yet the os sees the drive and the disk volume. seems like hd monitor might be screwing up, or something is interfering with it.

I will post once i get a chance to try it with something recorded with just the unit with no windows involvment.

Seems the windows machine is working right for once hehe.

M

Fellow Mac guy here , Macbook Pro Core2Duo

MD Transfer is supposed to take over the Mount , in otherwords when MD Transfer has the MD connected you wont see a Mounted disc on the desktop , you sould see the files ith the Transfer window ( when you connect the RH1 to the Mac , first there will be a mounted disc on the desktop , DO NOT KLIK IT ) If MD transfer's Monitor is working right , in a couple of seconds the MD Icon should appear on the destop (Blue MD Transfer icon) you klik that not the disc image

The RH1 doesnt " Mount " per se .... when doing the audio thing , You can drag data files to the disc image and use it for data , but to access the audio it has to go thru MD transfer

One other thing .. I wonder if Windows is putting some kind of header file on the MD when you have it connected to Windows, that would conceivably be a problem .

Format a disc on the RH1 and record something on it from a CD , then connect to the Mac first , see if does the same thing. If it sees the RH1 like it should then your Windows is doing something to the MD

Also you said you formatted thru SS , dont do that , format on the RH1 itself , while NOT connected to the computer

Fellow Mac guy :) ,

I didnt think about windows adding something to the disc, good possibility. I will give it try as you suggest.

I am not getting the md icon on the desktop, mac osx, as soon as the rh1 spins up i get the unrecognizable disk, do you want to initialize? (this was with a fresh blank 1gb disk, not formatted with ss.) dialog box. Yet the os sees the drive and the disk volume. seems like hd monitor might be screwing up, or something is interfering with it.

I will post once i get a chance to try it with something recorded with just the unit with no windows involvment.

Seems the windows machine is working right for once hehe.

M

Hmmmm go into Applications , and open MD Transfer , then upper left Top of the screen klik the MD Transfer name and go into Preferences . See if it is set to start when Mac starts , if it isnt starting automatically that might be where it is.

anyway , once you have the RH1 connected , go into Applications and open MD Transfer it should then take over .

Hmmmm go into Applications , and open MD Transfer , then upper left Top of the screen klik the MD Transfer name and go into Preferences . See if it is set to start when Mac starts , if it isnt starting automatically that might be where it is.

anyway , once you have the RH1 connected , go into Applications and open MD Transfer it should then take over .

Ok , formatted 1gb MD using rh-1, recorded a couple of snippets. Hooked up to mac, still unusable disk message. selected ignore and let it sit, no dice. HD Monitor is running upon startup. MD transfer still showing device/ media not present. No desktop icon of any kind.

Reinstalled MD 2.0 software and reboot. Nothing. MD transfer doesnt seem to have preference option from any menu.

My best guess is something is interfering with the MDmonitor and the detection of the RH1 because OSX is seeing it on the USB bus and disk utility sees the volume, and correctly identifies it.

I did try to remove ver 2 and install ver 1 from the cd, the installation process got all the way through to the install button and then told me there was nothing to install.???

Gotta be a software issue

Ok , formatted 1gb MD using rh-1, recorded a couple of snippets. Hooked up to mac, still unusable disk message. selected ignore and let it sit, no dice. HD Monitor is running upon startup. MD transfer still showing device/ media not present. No desktop icon of any kind.

Reinstalled MD 2.0 software and reboot. Nothing. MD transfer doesnt seem to have preference option from any menu.

My best guess is something is interfering with the MDmonitor and the detection of the RH1 because OSX is seeing it on the USB bus and disk utility sees the volume, and correctly identifies it.

I did try to remove ver 2 and install ver 1 from the cd, the installation process got all the way through to the install button and then told me there was nothing to install.???

Gotta be a software issue

Yeah version 1 was no good period, they fixed the bugs in version 2 . This one has me buggered.

the Mac side everything MUST be in HiMD mode , so the RH1 has to be recording in HI mode , with SS it doesnt matter

Make sure you have the RH1 in HIMD DiscMode before you record anything you can find discmode on the 40elk remote or the menu's of theRH1

"Hold the menu button untill Edit displays , then use the jog dial to move to "Option" Select Option , then jog untill you see Disc Mode Select it , you will have Hi MD and MD to choose from . That is the only thing that is Mac specific That MUST be there . If you have the HI MD mode on and it doesnt recognized the files then something is definately wrong .

Oe other thing is the USB cable , I have heard from a Number of people the the cable had problems. But you have it work on SS , then it doesnt on the mac, this an odd one .

Edited by Guitarfxr

• 1 month later...

Yeah version 1 was no good period, they fixed the bugs in version 2 . This one has me buggered.

the Mac side everything MUST be in HiMD mode , so the RH1 has to be recording in HI mode , with SS it doesnt matter

Make sure you have the RH1 in HIMD DiscMode before you record anything you can find discmode on the 40elk remote or the menu's of theRH1

"Hold the menu button untill Edit displays , then use the jog dial to move to "Option" Select Option , then jog untill you see Disc Mode Select it , you will have Hi MD and MD to choose from . That is the only thing that is Mac specific That MUST be there . If you have the HI MD mode on and it doesnt recognized the files then something is definately wrong .

Oe other thing is the USB cable , I have heard from a Number of people the the cable had problems. But you have it work on SS , then it doesnt on the mac, this an odd one .

We're having this same problem. And we tried all the options suggested here, without success. We have two Sonyi HI MD's and get the same MEDIA/DEVICE NOT CONNECTED on 5 BRAND NEW Imacs.

Can anyone recommend a recorder that can work for radio reports in the field with top quality and Mac compatability. We're about to give up on Sony

We're having this same problem. And we tried all the options suggested here, without success. We have two Sonyi HI MD's and get the same MEDIA/DEVICE NOT CONNECTED on 5 BRAND NEW Imacs.

Can anyone recommend a recorder that can work for radio reports in the field with top quality and Mac compatability. We're about to give up on Sony

Well , untill we can get the iMac thing straightened out for you , ..... I know this would be troublesome , but download Audacity , and transfer real time , I will keep trying to help .

On my Macbook Pro I dont have any problem with the Rh1 , only if I record Optical in PCM mode then it wont upload , but everything else does

You do have to Format the disc to HiMD mode and record in HiMD mode for MD Transfer to list it .

So try this , Blank disc into the MD , then Menu-> Option-> Disc Mode = Hi Md , after that , Menu-> Option-> Format -> (Format Disc yes or no ) =Yes

The disc should now be in HiMD mode , now record something on it HiSP or HiLP , and then connect it to the Mac