MZ-RH1 Charger > Zune

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

I recieved a Brown 30GB Zune as a birthday present (which suits me well as a portable player, reducing wear & tear on my precious MiniDisc recorders... but that is a story for another thread). The Zune charges via USB, not unlike the MZ-RH1.

My question is --Could I use the MZ-RH1 charger to charge the Zune? Or, alternately use the Zune charger to charge the MZ-RH1?

The voltages are as follows:

MZ-RH1 Charger

INPUT: AC100-240V~ 50/60Hz 6W

OUTPUT: DC5V- - - 800mA

Zune Charger

INPUT: 100 - 240V~ 50/60Hz

OUTPUT: 5V- - - 1.5A

thx

Hey guys,

I recieved a Brown 30GB Zune as a birthday present (which suits me well as a portable player, reducing wear & tear on my precious MiniDisc recorders... but that is a story for another thread). The Zune charges via USB, not unlike the MZ-RH1.

My question is --Could I use the MZ-RH1 charger to charge the Zune? Or, alternately use the Zune charger to charge the MZ-RH1?

The voltages are as follows:

MZ-RH1 Charger

INPUT: AC100-240V~ 50/60Hz 6W

OUTPUT: DC5V- - - 800mA

Zune Charger

INPUT: 100 - 240V~ 50/60Hz

OUTPUT: 5V- - - 1.5A

thx

1,5 Amps is a big chunk over the 800 ma , .. I would think about that one , the most I would put on the RH1 is 1 amp, even then it might show a "HiDC IN " message

But you could try it and see if it doesnt give a funky message . Me personally ,...... that is a bit much .

The amp rating is simply what the unit is capable of putting out. It does not "push" that amount out. Your unit will only draw what it needs. Your wall outlet is capable of putting out 15 amps but the wall wart only draws a fraction of that.

BobS I beg to differ , I work on Guitar and Simple electronics for a living , todays new Digital Switching power supplies , will put out their rating with some of them, and depend on the unit to take only what it needs .

It depends solely on the way the Power Supply is made , and what incorporated circuitry is in it . Transformer based supplies are notoriously bad for not being properly regulated . Transformer->Rectifier->Filter caps , and if your fortunate a 78XX or a 317T chip in it . if no chip then the voltage will fluctuate over a huge range as does the Line voltage it is connected to . Power supplies are listed with a Load Voltage rating , so if you test it with a meter and get exactly that rating , then you will probably be ok .

But if you are getting a higher or a fluctuating rating , then there is no real regulation and I would not trust it with the RH1 , I have tried 27 different power sources with the RH1 and it is fairly finiky , whereas the older MD's with standard DC input you can get away with a lot more Battery packs and what not .

The main thing I would worry about is AC ripple + Amperage , a really well filtered/regulated DC with a little higher amperage , ok I will go with you on that , but I would thouroughly check the supply first , and I am sure you wouldnt disagree with that .