For, more information...

Articles about this nice one of a kind unit:

Alan R. Peterson

http://www.proaudioreview.com/april01/HHB-...adisc-web.shtml

Christopher Springmann

http://www.rwonline.com/reference-room/spe...eng_hhb_1.shtml

Carl Lindemann

http://www.rwonline.com/reference-room/pro...-1-may-23.shtml

It used to be very very expensive, but it is around the same price as a HI-MD unit, now.

This unit has a USB socket, but the only use was for real time recording

So, basically you want an uploading recorder like the awesome cool designed MZ-RH1?

Well, I think there sould have been more proffessional models like this one, too rather than just the cosumer/Pro-sumer model types. Notice, this has unit is a well built machine with sockets/input and out puts that other the small portable MD models have no room for. You can actually use a real mic with this model easily, too. With this model you could go digital directly from a MiniDisc to a stand alone CD recorder without the need for a PC or a Mac. Also, think about when sockets on a protable recorder need to be replaced or serived it is not an easy thing to do, but it would sure be alot easier on this unit. I this unit is not HI-MD but is it not still special? It is probably the strogest of the portable MD machines.

And, what other way is there to record but in real time?

In terms of connectors and body strength cosumer models just can't compare notice:

Analogue connectors

# Connector type: XLR 3: Pin 2 + Hot; pin 3 - Cold; Pin 1 Ground

# Mic input level for 0dBFS (level control at max) : -52dBu

# Line input level for 0dBFS (level control at max) : -2dBu

# Phantom power (mic inputs): +48V, 7mA

# Unbalanced Line Output

# Connector type: RCA phono

# Output level: +8dBu @ 0dBFS into >10k Ohms

# Headphone output

# Connector type: 1/4" stereo jack

# Impedance: 32 Ohms

# Output power: 15mW

# Remote control: Parallel

# Connector type: 8-pin mini DIN

Digital connectors

# Coaxial digital input: SPDIF

# Input impedance: 75 Ohms

# Input level: 0.5V p-p

# Optical digital input: SPDIF

# Connector type: TOSlink

# Coaxial digital output: SPDIF

# Output impedance: 75 Ohms

# Output level: 0.5V p-p

# Optical digital output: SPDIF

# Connector type: TOSlink

This unit has a USB socket, but the only use was for real time recording. If only HHB could have designed some software,....

There used to be some software ( Correction from previous statement ) I just went to the HHB site , and the new firmware version , states Real time USB transfer at 16 bit 44.1 .

But it is seen as a USB audio device , which means open compatibility with all OS's , maybe even Linux , But both Mac and Win supported .

Also read that the USB can be used as an INPUT ................. with a LIMITER , that is interesting .

Edited by Guitarfxr

It's a professional unit, so you can't even compare it to consumer based recorders/players, whether Hi-MD or plain MD. I would obviously like one and knew for a long time about it. You are right it is very well built, you can take this thing into a warzone and it would still work.

Edited by kino170878

I recently bought a second-hand Portadisc reporter kit (the unit + a Sennheiser MD 46 microphone) for Euro 308.65 on Ebay, and I am extremely satisfied it. n I do analog real time mono radio recordings, sometimes live mono microphone takes. I have been disappointed by the Sony MZ-RH1, that does not do mono :-(

The Portadisc is a minidisc reincarnation of the Sony TCD-5M cassette recorder, that I have been using during 20 years. Same look and feel, large controls, readable meters, standard batteries, internal mono speaker, good connectivity, editing capabilities. It also reminds me the Revox B77 tape recorder: the two input channels can be selected and set up independantly when recording in stereo (I do not do stereo, but I can control two different mono recordings simultaneously).

I have not tried to upload recordings via USB. I defrag and backup my recordings with my Sony MDS-W1 deck. I recommend the Portadisc to legacy format minidisc lovers, who want to enjoy life without depending on computers and computer software.

The Portadisc is a minidisc reincarnation of the Sony TCD-5M cassette recorder, that I have been using during 20 years. Same look and feel, large controls, readable meters, standard batteries, internal mono speaker, good connectivity, editing capabilities. It also reminds me the Revox B77 tape recorder: the two input channels can be selected and set up independantly when recording in stereo (I do not do stereo, but I can control two different mono recordings simultaneously).

You wanna sell the TCD-5M ?????? , I am drooling at the thought , I have always wanted that deck ! I had the WM-D6C and separate pre amps for it .

I didn't think about that connection HHb -> TCD-5M , that is an interesting comparison indeed , I guess the color throws you off unless you get actual hands on usage , then it would be more apparent .

but that does make sense . Probably comparable sonically as well , The TCD-5M is a VERY warm deck , and very clean ,